Subject: Re: [xacml] A problem with the Target

Argyn wrote:
> On 2/20/07, Erik Rissanen <mirty@sics.se> wrote:
>> Argyn wrote:
>> > Eric

>> are no
>> >
>> > what do you mean by backwards compatibility in this case?
>>
>> That it is not possible to map/translate 2.0 policies into equivalent
>> 3.0 policies. This has been a goal with the 3.0 work so there is an easy
>> migration path and we cover all previous use cases.
>
> it seems that we need a tool, which would verify that we can translate
> 2.0 to 3.0 policies. otherwise, how do we know that we are backward
> compatible?
>
> we need to automatically convert all 2.0 conformance tests into 3.0
> and see that they were converted correctly.

Ludwig, who is implementing the 3.0 stuff here at SICS has already done
so in a sense. The modified sunxacml code we are using can still read
2.0 policies and will translate them into 3.0 internally. Whenever I
change the drafts, Ludwig updates the code and he regularly runs all the
conformance tests, and this is how he discovered this particular problem.

His code is available at
http://www.sics.se/spot/xacml_3_0.html
although he doesn't update it daily.