Subject: Re: XPath 2.0 support

Just from the top of my head, there are a number of places where
non-US-ASCII can be relevant in XACML. There is a <Description> element
which may be human readable and in another language than English. It is
also possible that attributes contain natural language items such as
names of persons or roles.

Personally I have never found namespaces hard to deal with, but I might
have been lucky.

BTW, eliminating namespaces from xpath expressions is not what we are
considering here. The optional feature of xpath is the namespace axis,
which can be used to access namespace nodes directly. This was available
in xpath 1.0, but has been deprecated in 2.0 in favor of other
mechanisms related to namespaces.