Subject: Groups - XACML 2.0 Interop Scenarios Version 0.10 (xacml-2.0-core-interop-draft-10-06.doc) uploaded

This document is in progress and is intended to be used for XACML 2.0
Interop Event planned to be conducted at and during the Burton Catalyst
Conference in San Francisco on Thursday, June 28, 2007.

It is expected there will be regular updates to this doc over the next 3
weeks to further refine and finish scenario details.

The document should be self-explanatory, however the following cover note
was sent to give context to the current version:

Attached is an update to scenario 2 which I think captures the whole
concept. In addition to what was in the previous doc described in
the email below, I made the following changes, which I think will
have the intended effects. I plan to update this again on Monday
pending some additional feedback on the correctness of the
approach. In any event, here are the changes:

    - A PolicySet has been added to section 2.3.1.2.1 which is intended
       to put structure around Rules 2,3,4,5 which are listed in that
       same section preceding the PolicySet.
    - The PolicySet contains 2 Policies, and it uses a permit-overrides
       PolicyCombiningAlgId, so my assumption is if the first Policy
       evaluates to Permit (this is policyid:02, which is that both the
       trade-limit and credit-ext are within threshold and no approval
       needed) then things are done and only policyid:02 will have been
       evaluated found to be Permit and returns the same 3 Obligations
       we have been doing all along.

    - If the first Policy (02) does not Permit, which is the case if
       either or both of the 2 thresholds are not met, then the 2nd
       policy, which has id policyid:06 is evaluated. This is a deny-
       overrides policy and since neither of the first two rules will
       produce a Deny then they both should be evaluated. If ruleid:3
       finds that the trade limit is exceeded and the request-trade-
       approval is true then it Permits and adds a trade-approval
       Obligation. Similarly if ruleid:4 finds the credit limit is
       exceeded and the request-credit-ext-approval is true then it
       Permits and adds a credit-ext-approval Obligation.

    - At this point we know at least one of the limits was exceeded, and
       we know if any limit that was exceeded was accompanied by a
       corresponding approval request, then the appropriate Obligation
       was added. However, we have not yet determined if when either of
       the limits was exceeded that the corresponding approval was NOT
       requested. If this is the case, then a Deny will be issued by
       Rule 5, which will cancel out any positive results from
       rules 3 or 4. Rule 5 as a Deny contains its own set of FulfillOn
       Deny Obligations to return to the caller.

    - Otherwise if Rule 5 does not produce a Deny, then we finish up
       policy:06 by adding the 3 display obligations for Permit in
       addition to any approval obligations picked up by rules 3 and 4.

I think this might be a reasonable structure that achieves the intended
objective. If it is, then I also expect that we will be able to find a
fair amount of optimizations to clean things up a bit. Comments welcome.

    Thanks,
    Rich

Rich Levinson wrote:
Hi All,

This is still in progress, but it is taking shape, so people can evaluate
the direction it is headed. On the one hand it seems a bit complex
because of all the xml, but on the other, the basic logic is straight-
forward in terms of conditions to evaluate and flags to set.

The basic algorithm I am working for scenario 2 is the following.
First I am redoing the logic of Rule 1 in these rules except here
the action is "Buy".

With that foundation, the following algorithm is being mapped:

   buy-total = buy-num-shares times buy-offer-price

   if ( (buy-total < current-credit) and
        (buy-total < trade-limit) )
     Permit
   else
     if ( (buy-total >= current-credit) and
          (req-credit-ext-approval = "true") )
        Permit with obligation to approve credit
     if ( (buy-total >= trade-limit) and
          (req-trade-approval = "true") )
        Permit with obligation to approve trade

   final
      if Permit then permit
      if Permit w oblig to ext credit then add credit-ext-obl
      if Permit w oblig to approve trade then add trade-approve-obl

      else deny

I have found that to have the 3 mixes of obligations, 3 policies are
needed. Therefore, what has been added to section 2.3.1.2.1 are Rule 2,
Rule 3, and Rule 4. They all have permit-overrides, which enables Rule 2
to override everything since the credit and trade limits are met. A
little more is required for Rules 3 and 4 since either one can kill the
deal if it fails. So, I think there may be a PolicySet required here.

In any event, I think the rule is pretty close. It is complex enough to
be interesting, yet not so complex as to cause total confusion.

Comments welcome.

   Thanks,
   Rich

 -- Rich Levinson

The document named XACML 2.0 Interop Scenarios Version 0.10
(xacml-2.0-core-interop-draft-10-06.doc) has been submitted by Rich
Levinson to the OASIS eXtensible Access Control Markup Language (XACML) TC
document repository.

Document Description:
This document is in progress and is intended to be used for XACML 2.0
Interop Event planned to be conducted at and during the Burton Catalyst
Conference in San Francisco on Thursday, June 28, 2007.

It is expected there will be regular updates to this doc over the next 3
weeks.

View Document Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xacml/document.php?document_id=24232

Download Document: