Subject: RE: [xacml] New XACML References and Products document V1.83

Anne

Here is a more complete description of the organizations that we
discussed in the 8/2 XACML TC meeting.  My contacts to the IHE report
that authorization is a hot topic and they would like to engage the
XACML TC in refining healthcare scenarios that demonstrate
interoperability and support security and privacy solutions in an SOA
environment.  The IHE profiles are frequently adopted by government
through efforts such as HITSP.

IHE - Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise - is a multi-year
initiative, which started in 1998 to create the framework for seamlessly
passing health information via computer systems within and across all
units of the healthcare enterprise. IHE is sponsored by HIMSS, the
Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) and the American College of
Cardiology (ACC).
[from: http://www.himss.org/ASP/topics_FocusDynamic.asp?faid=3 ]

The Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) is the
healthcare industry's membership organization exclusively focused on
providing global leadership for the optimal use of healthcare
information technology (IT) and management systems for the betterment of
healthcare. Founded in 1961 with offices in Chicago, Washington D.C.,
Brussels, and other locations across the United States and Europe, HIMSS
represents more than 20,000 individual members and over 300 corporate
members that collectively represent organizations employing millions of
people. HIMSS frames and leads healthcare public policy and industry
practices through its advocacy, educational and professional development
initiatives designed to promote information and management systems'
contributions to ensuring quality patient care.
[from: http://www.himss.org/ASP/aboutHimssHome.asp ]

The mission of the Healthcare Information Technology Standards Panel
[HITSP] is to serve as a cooperative partnership between the public and
private sectors for the purpose of achieving a widely accepted and
useful set of standards specifically to enable and support widespread
interoperability among healthcare software applications, as they will
interact in a local, regional and national health information network
for the United States.

Comprised of a wide range of stakeholders, the Panel will assist in the
development of the U.S. Nationwide Health Information Network (NHIN) by
addressing issues such as privacy and security within a shared
healthcare information system.

The Panel is sponsored by the American National Standards Institute
(ANSI) in cooperation with strategic partners such as the Healthcare
Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS).
[from: http://www.hitsp.org ]

Regards,
David Staggs
VA CHIO/SCA