Subject: Moving ahead with 3.0

All,

I would like to finish XACML 3.0. :-)

So, what do we still have to do?

There is the issues list of course. More on that below. I need to update
the docs to the new OASIS templates as well. But besides that, what more
is there to do?

The delegation draft lacks a conformance section. I can make one. The
core has one already since the doc is really just an updated 2.0 doc.
Have there been any changes to the requirements on the conformance
requirements section from the side of OASIS?

It might be a good idea if someone who is a native English speaker
proofreads the docs, but we can wait with that until the end.

The profiles also need to be updated, but I suspect that it is mostly
just updating to the new schema.

Below you can find the the issues list with some proposals. Could we
discuss the issues at the next meeting? I also propose that we move any
post 3.0 issues to a separate wiki page so we can focus on wrapping up 3.0.

Issue 12, more general conclusions: Bill and I posted a working draft
about generalized obligations. We have not received much feedback on
this. I propose that we defer this to post 3.0.

Related to this is the issue about the timing attribute for obligations
which was proposed by David Chadwick. I put this as a feature in the
obligation draft. If we defer the obligation draft, do we want to
include the timing attribute in the 3.0 core? In my opinion this depends
on what we expect will happen with the obligation work. My preference is
that we after 3.0 core is done quickly complete the obligation work, in
which case the timing should go there, not in the core now. But if the
obligation profile will never happen, then we should include the timing
attribute in the core now.

Issue 23, access permitted: This is waiting for Hal to update the
proposal to the new core schema. Also, there are concerns about how this
could affect the complexity of evaluation. Hal, what is you take on this?

Issue 36, PDP metadata: I suggest that we wait with this issue until
last in the 3.0 work and see what meta date we need.

Issue 62, policy provisioning interface. I think this is post 3.0. It
doesn't affect the core directly and this work is very early yet.

Issue 63 is just waiting for me to update the docs. Will do soon. :)

Issue 66, missing attributes may be underspecified. I propose that we
defer this to post 3.0. It is early work and might be better suited for
a profile for a PDP <-> PEP protocol.

Issue 67, XPath 2.0. There is a proposal in the docs, but someone who
knows xpath better than me needs to review it. If no one wants to review
it, I propose that we go with as it is and make errata later if needed. :-)

Issue 71, different categories as different entities: I propose that we
defer this post 3.0. It is a major change from XACML 2.0 and there is no
concrete proposal. I am also concerned with computational complexity
since this is related to the complexity issue we got with distinct
indirect delegates.

Issue 72, placement of supplied policies is open needs to be done for
3.0. I will think up a proposal.

Issue 73, start of administrative requests in nested policy sets. I
think we don't need to change anything as things are now, but I will
think more about it. I will write an explanation of whatever result I reach.

Issue 75, PEP <-> PDP interface. Defer this to a post 3.0 profile.

Issue 76, multiple conditions. I'm not sure about this one. Seems like
partly a duplicate of issue 71. I also wonder whether it is not possible
to implement the xpath part of this issue using clever xpaths and bag
functions in the policy.

Issues 82, 83 and 85 seem straightforward to fix.