Subject: Re: [xacml] Moving ahead with 3.0

Hi Hal,

I appreciate what you are saying about the work that has been done,
and, in particular, the admin and WS-XACML stuff needs to be moved
along rapidly. However, I am concerned after briefly looking over the changes
to XACML core, that while I can see the motivation for removing the
Subject, Resource, Action, and Environment and replacing them with
a generic Attribute, I question the trade-off here between what is a real
customer need and what is being done just to "clean-up" the protocol vs
the price we will pay for disrupting the interoperability. i.e. if the same
functionality is actually available in 2.0, albeit in a less clean manner, I am
concerned that the price of  "clean-up" is to risk all kinds of negative
press about how "unstable" the protocol appears to be. I'd be curious
what some of the Burton people would have to say about this.

It seems to me, although I haven't gotten to all the details yet, that a lot
of what you say is valuable about admin and WS-XACML could be
had building as profiles and adjuncts to 2.0. Is there a reason why these
core changes are tied to those items?

    Thanks,
    Rich

Hal Lockhart wrote:
2E22E42D2E71B845B67F093A02B962DBF4459E@repbex01.amer.bea.com" type="cite">
During the last call I asked people to identify the issues or new
features we intend to complete for version 3.0. I agree than many of
your suggestions would be quite valuable additions to the next version
of XACML.

On the other, I don't think XACML 3.0 should be arbitrarily held up just
because people are beginning to implement 2.0. A lot of time and effort
has been put into Admin policies for example and that functionality is
frequently requested. Also I expect some of the 3.0 work, such as the
SAML Profile, WS-XACML profile and the Provisioning Protocol will be
useful in conjunction with XACML 2.0.

I think the PR aspect of this can be dealt with by careful handling. For
one thing it will be legal to support only "3.0 without Admin policies".
This should be an easy step for current 2.0 implementations.

We should discuss this on the call.

Hal