Subject: Re: [xacml] Outline of Policy Distribution Protocols (Issue 62)

Hi Hal,

First, let me say I think it is a good first cut at laying out a foundation for this
PAP-PEP policy distribution protocol.

1. Couple up front clarifying comments first: Prateek I believe was actually referring
to section 5: Policies in the SAML Profile V2. Apparently the TOC needs updating
because it has it listed as section 4, but it looks like section 2.6 got promoted
to Section 3, whether rightly or wrongly is a little difficult to say. However, it is
section 4 in V1. I notice now that the V2 Policy protocol has evolved somewhat
from V1, although it appears the functionality is basically the same - my comments
below in item 4 are ref'ing V2.

2. We were going to ask about the date-time that you have in the Policy-Id (I copied
your follow-up email on it at end of this message for completeness, but as I read
it more carefully, I don't think that's the date and time that we are asking about).
It says in the core spec (5.1 PolicySet@PolicySetId and 5.22 Policy@PolicyId)
that "It is the responsibility of the PAP to ensure that no two policies visible to
the PDP have the same identifier".

Based on the above paragraph, my question is what is the date/time that you are
referring to that makes the PolicyId unique, and based on the quote above, is
it really necessary since the PAP is responsible to make sure they are unique
in any event?

3. On a more substantive note, one initial question I had going thru the proposal is
the relation between the actual PolicySets, Policys, PolicySetIdReferences,
and PolicyIdReferences, as compared to the "list of Policy Ids" returned by PDP
in step 2 of push and pull, and sent by PAP in step 1 of pull.

Since PolicySets can contain both PolicySets and Policys, and they all have unique
ids and they are all in one PolicySet, does the list only contain the top level Policy
or PolicySet or all the contained members. Also, if an admin decides to consolidate
Policys into a PolicySet (ex. in the Interop we provided both individual Policys
and PolicySets as well as the whole batch in one PolicySet) or to break things
up from combined to components, does this affect the lists that are sent?

4. Relation to SAML Profile: the profile has a xacml-saml:ReferencePolicies, which
appears to be a catch-all for any PolicySets or Policys not included in the
collection of Policys and PolicySets explicitly contained therein. In other words,
it appear the rules for the XACMLPolicyStatement in the profile require that
a "complete" set be sent with no loose ends. Also, from diagram Fig 1 p9 of V2,
it appears that PAP can also do a push and respond to a pull. (At least, it
appears that one could define some kind of SAML unsolicited Response
as implied is reasonable on lines 174-177 of V2 that encourages using
the XACML artifacts for exchanging info.)

I guess the bottom line on this item 4 is that when you get right down to
implementing your proposal, using this SAML V2 profile looks like
a pretty reasonable start in that direction.

In summary, for the above items, the only one that appears to me to
need some technical addressing is item 3 where I would like to
understand how these lists can be created without leaving room
for ambiguity as far as making sense within the context of a
collection of Policys and PolicySets.

5. One final item, which is probably more general than just this
policy exchange is where you mention "It is assumed that the PAP
knows what policies a given PEP should get by some unspecified
means." and follow it with a mention of "Targets". I think we need
to look at this issue more carefully to provide implementors
guidance and consider whether the current Policy and PolicySet
definitions contain enough information for identifying how to
divide up policies into domains or authorized access etc. It seems
to me that Targets may not be a reasonable way to do this in
general, since one can put almost anything in a Target. Maybe
this is a "best practices" issue?

    Thanks,
    Rich

Hal Lockhart wrote:
2E22E42D2E71B845B67F093A02B962DB0123C6D6@repbex01.amer.bea.com" type="cite">
I am going to guess that what you are referring to is Section 4 of the
SAML Profile.

The SAML-based policy request profile was never intended to be used for
provisioning. Its purpose was to allow a server to provide polices on a
per-request basis to a PDP with little or no non-volatile storage. It
provides no means to distribute a subset of available policies without
duplicates.

As I have said repeatedly, I think the case of transferring ALL polices
can be easily covered using existing protocols, e.g. ftp. However, my
proposed design does permit the transfer of any subset, including all
policies.

Your question does raise some other points. Should the policies and
policy sets be delivered "naked" or wrapped in a SAML assertion? My
thinking was that these polices had already be vetted by a trusted PAP
and therefore it would be simpler and more efficient to send them
without a SAML wrapper. Message protection, if desired can be provided
by TLS or WS-Security as specified elsewhere. As a result of these
considerations I was not even planning to make this a part of the SAML
Profile, but a new free standing Profile.

So the short answer is that these are new protocols with different
functionality from the current policy query protocol.

Hal