Subject: Optimization and side effects

All,

I have been considering optimization of XACML evaluation and one issue
which the spec is unclear on is out of order evaluation.

I thought that the spec says somewhere that the PDP is allowed to do
processing in any way as long as the results are identical to the spec,
but I cannot find that anywhere now when I tried to look for it. I think
we should insert this in the normative text of the specification.

I would also like to say something about side effects. None of the
standard XACML functions have side effects, but it is conceivable that
an XACML extension could have side effects. I would like to state in the
normative text that any extensions and policies may not assume any
particular order of execution with respect to side effects.

I propose that we add a new section 7.16 in the XACML 3.0 draft:

<<< Proposed text >>>

7.16. Optimization of evaluation

An implementation may perform evaluation in any manner or order as long
as the resulting response context is the same as specified by this
specification.

None of the standard XACML functions have side effects. XACML extensions
MAY have side effects, but an implementation and policies may not make
any assumptions about which side effects are executed and in what order
such execution happens. It is RECOMMENDED that no XACML extension has
side effects.

<<< End proposed text >>>

Alternatively we could forbid side effects altogether, but that is
probably not necessary. And it might by hard to define what a side
effect is.

Best regards,