Subject: Re: [xacml] Preliminary review of WS-XACML

This seems an incredible amount of effort to reach some very modest goals...

As Ramana points out, there are existing SecurityPolicy extensions and
extension points  that could support the required functionality

I dont see the use-case where fine-grained Az needs to be advertised
across enterprise or other boundaries; again, this seems an interesting
project but I dont see a lot of folks asking for this...

- prateek
> Prateek,
>
> The use case is for advertising and matching more fine grained access control and privacy policy requirements than provided by WS-SecurityPolicy.
>
> For example, WS-SP can say "Use a SAML Assertion". With WS-XACML you can say "access subject must have a Group attribute with the value of Administrator".
>
> WS-XACML also provides a more fine grained matching mechanism which is still syntactic in nature and does not require understanding of the semantics of the individual elements of the policy.
>
> WS-XACML uses syntax from XACML as well as P3P to meet these requirements. The use of XACML is not a goal, simply an implementation choice.
>
> Hal

>>> itself. In particular, by representing assertions as combinations of
>>> Requirements
>>> and Capabilities, the spec makes explicit the structure of WS-Policy
>>> which is
>>> somewhat lost in the extremely abbreviated assertion representations
>>> found
>>> in specs such as WS-SecurityPolicy. (Note: there are background refs,
>>> which
>>> include a representation of WS-SP using the same constructs used in
>>> WS-XACML,
>>> which I have not reviewed yet, but does promise to be interesting.)
>>>
>>> The 2nd major factor the spec addresses is the notion of vocabularies,
>>> where
>>> a vocabulary is associated with a policy domain, such as authorization,
>>> privacy, or system-specific policy domains. In each vocabulary is a
>>> mechanism
>>> for expressing constraints on the variables within the vocabulary. The
>>> constraints,
>>> themselves, are abstracted so that basically any policy domain can be
>>> mapped
>>> into a XACML policy domain, and theoretically the client and server can
>>> determine dynamically whether their respective Requirements and
>>> Capabilities
>>> are mutually acceptable. Generally, the client does the evaluation of
>>> its own
>>> assertions vs the assertions it obtains from the server's wsdl.
>>>
>>> A 3rd major factor that is only lightly touched on is the notion that
>>> the "advertised"
>>> or "published" policy (i.e. that which appears as assertions in
>>> WS-Policy) MUST
>>> be a subset of the "internal" or enterprise policy used by the policy
>>> publisher
>>> for policy evaluation. There is a brief section (10) that talks about