Subject: Re: [xacml] Optimizing <Target> evaluation

All,

This issue was deferred to the next call, so I am bumping up this
message so it's not forgotten.

I would also like to explain more carefully why it is more consistent to
give priority of a non-matching target section before an indeterminate
in the target evaluation.

An Indeterminate result is used when the value of an evaluation cannot
be determined. Consider the following example:

<Target>
  <AnyOf> ... this evaluated to "Match" ... </AnyOf>
  <AnyOf> ... there is an error retrieving an attribute here ->
Indeterminate ... </AnyOf>
</Target>

In this case we don't know the value of the second <AnyOf>. If we would
have been able to resolve the attribute, the value could be either Match
or NoMatch. If we consider these two possibilities for the whole target,
we see that in the first case the whole target is a Match and in the
other case it's a NoMatch. This means that because of the error in the
section of the target, the value of the whole target is uncertain, and
we should therefore treat that whole target as Indeterminate as well.

Now, consider the following case:

<Target>
  <AnyOf> ... this evaluated to "NoMatch" ... </AnyOf>
  <AnyOf> ... there is an error retrieving an attribute here ->
Indeterminate ... </AnyOf>
</Target>

Again, the section which failed could be either NoMatch or Match if it
would have been non-failing. But in this case the value of the whole
target would be NoMatch in either case, so it would be safe to return a
NoMatch for the whole target. However, currently the specification says
that the whole target should be Indeterminate. This is not consistent
with the meaning of Indeterminate as "the value of the policy is
uncertain". And it is also suboptimal from a performance point of view.

BTW, it was by reasoning like this Olav Bandman at SICS discovered
similar inconsistencies in some of the combining algorithms, and he was
able to "exploit" them to make the PDP go from Permit to Deny, or vice
versa, by imagining that an attacker could force a failure in attribute
resolution. We discussed this some time ago, but there was some
resistance to fix this. I still think it would be better to update the
combining algorithms in 3.0 and "deprecate" the old versions. I can
imagine there are similar performance issues in the combining algorithms
as well, but I haven't looked into it yet.