Subject: FW: XACML EBNF (XACML-basd research work)

This may be of interest.

We should add it to the research citations on the home page.

Hal

-----Original Message-----
From: Fatih Turkmen [mailto:turkmen@disi.unitn.it]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 4:56 AM
To: hal.lockhart@oracle.com
Subject: XACML EBNF

Dear Hal Lockhart,

I am phd student working on access control in University of Trento, Italy.
We have been using XACML intensively in our experiments and projects.
During one of the studies I came up with an EBNF representation of XACML
as attached in the e-mail. It was useful to understand the precise
definition and structure of XACML policies for translating them into
description logic instances. This allowed us to do complicated security
analysis on given policies (such as security properties and features). I
believe it can be useful for the newcomers or for researchers doing formal
studies on XACML. Apart from that, we have published a paper on the
performance of XACML PDP implementations which can be added to XACML
References page
(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1456492.1456499&coll=Portal&dl=GUIDE&CFID=13703627&CFTOKEN=80892183).

Finally, our university recommends us to go for research stays (in the
form of an internship) on a thesis relevant topic. I am working on Access
Control on Service Oriented Architectures (SOA). I wonder if there is any
opening within your group for a research stay as if yes it would be a
perfect match to my topic. Do you have any suggestions on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

--
Fatih TURKMEN

XACML_BNF.pdf