Subject: Re: [xacml] Making progress?

Hi Rich and all,

I must have misunderstood you earlier. I thought you did not want the
biased algorithms. But defining them is fine for me, as long we also
have the unbiased ones. I think what Daniel suggests is not what most
people would want to do, since I don't think most people want to hide
errors from the PEP, but if someone would like to do that, then that's
up to them to define in their policy, if they can choose between biased
and unbiased algorithms.

The four first algorithms Rich proposes are good and will cover most use
cases. The first two are for regular policy combining, number three and
four are useful for defining bias in a policy.

The last two I think are dangerous and not useful. It's dangerous to
combine permits and denys when there are indeterminates which could
potentially be either permit or deny (which one is dangerous depends on
the algorithm). For instance, if you use deny-permit-overrides and you
have a Permit and Indet{D}, then the algorithm would return a Permit,
although there could have been a deny somewhere else, but this was
hidden by an error. I don't see any use case for this and it could be
dangerous. On the other hand, if we "fix" this problem in the algorithm,
the last two become the same as the first two.

So, I propose that we define the following algorithms. (I like these
names slightly better than the ones Rich is using.)

All algorithms use extended indeterminate.

- urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:3.0:policy-combining-algorithm:deny-overrides
This one is not biased. Basically the same thing as the 2.0 rule
combining alg.

- urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:3.0:policy-combining-algorithm:permit-overrides
This one is not biased. Basically the same thing as the 2.0 rule
combining alg.

- urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:3.0:policy-combining-algorithm:deny-unless-permit

- urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:3.0:policy-combining-algorithm:permit-unless-deny

Best regards,
Erik

P.S. I don't think we can cover all possible combining algorithms in the
standard. If we disregard order and number of policies, there are 16
possible inputs to a combining algorithm (the power set of the the set
{P,D,I,NA}). For each input, the algorithm can return one out of four
results. So there are a total of 4^16 different possible combining
algorithms. That's about 4.3 billion variants. Correct me if I am
mistaken. :-)