Subject: Re: [xacml] Obligations in Rules?

Hi Bill,

And thanks for the enlightening discussion. :-)

You express yourself well and I do agree with you that there is a
difference between "Why" and "Do", but I still think that it will be
difficult to separate the two from each other in real world use cases,
where the two tend to get mixed together. Where do you put something
which is both? But maybe that is not such a big problem?

And, yes I agree with you that use of extension points should be
discouraged, but that is really a separate issue from what I have been
arguing for. I am really saying just one thing: I don't think it is a
good idea to have two different features which are "mechanically"
identical. (Or, at least until you convince me otherwise. ;-)) It's
another issue that even having one such feature might be bad from an
interoperability point of view.

If we focus back on the original issues for the 3.0 core we are working on:

1. Do we want to define a special mechanism for "Why" (and/or "What")?
2. If so, what is the concrete proposal for that?
3. Would it be mechanically different from obligations in any way?
(And would it be a problem if it's identical. Well, I know you position
on this Bill.;-))

Best regards,
Erik