Subject: Re: [xacml] Issue: Hierarchical profile appears ambiguous and inconsistent

All,

Personally I have never found the profile difficult to understand and
the intent of it has been clear to me. I can agree that it's not
described in a stringent manner, but I don't think it's too bad either.
I also worry that if we make it too "correct", it will become hard to
understand because it could get very verbose.

In any case, I would not like to wait for a rewrite of this profile
before we proceed to CD with the core & friends. I haven't checked my
notes, the issues list, mailing archives, etc, but I think as we stand
now, we are pretty much ready with the core, delegation and the old
profiles. I don't think the deficiencies in the hierarchical profile are
important enough to hold back the rest right now.

So, I would propose that we either "ship" the current hierarchical
profile together with the core, hopefully soon, or drop it all together
from the package.

Best regards,
Erik

Rich.Levinson wrote:
> [...]
>
>     However, let us also say that b1 is a node that belongs to all 3
>     hierarchies and that, in fact, /a1/b1, /a2/b2, and /a3/b3 all
>     represent normative identities of the same node.
>
>     Now let us further assume that c1 and c2 represent the same
>     physical node, but that c3 is a different node.
>
>     Let's also assume that these physical nodes have serial numbers
>     r*, which serve as alternate unique identifiers of the nodes. We
>     can then see the relation as follows:
>
>         * Let r1, r2, r3 be serial numbers of the 3 separate root nodes.
>         * Let r4 be the serial number of the b1,b2,b3 node.
>         * Let r5 be the serial number of the c1,c2 node.
>         * Let r6 be the serial number of the c3 node.
>
>     The logical and physical resources and hierarchies can now be
>     represented together as follows:
>
>         * /a1(r1)/b1(r4)/c1(r5)
>         * /a2(r2)/b2(r4)/c2(r5)
>         * /a3(r3)/b3(r4)/c3(r6)
>
>     From the above, it is clear that if we are requesting access to,
>     say node /a1/b1/c1, then to apply the rules quoted above for
>     parents, we would need to first include:
>
>         * /a1(r1)/b1(r4)/c1(r5)
>         * /a2(r2)/b2(r4)/c2(r5)
>
>     where the 2 parents of c1(r5) are
>
>         * /a1/b1
>         * /a2/b2
>
>     i.e. c1, which is r5, which is then also c2, effectively has these
>     2 parents.
>
>     However, the rule then requires us to collect all the normative
>     identities of each of the parents.
>
>     First of all in this case the parent rule requires us to collect
>     the normative identities of r4 twice, once in its a1/b1
>     incarnation at which point it also picks up a2/b2, and once in its
>     a2/b2 incarnation, where it picks up a1/b1 again. Therefore it is
>     already "over-specified" because it requires collecting these
>     identities twice resulting in 4 instead of 2 "normative parent
>     identities".
>
>     Furthermore, the algorithm also requires us to pick up /a3/b3,
>     which is another "normative identity" of this parent node, which
>     means we will have 3 copies of each normative identity of the
>     "parents" of c1 for a total of 9 "normative parent identities",
>     which are, of course triply redundant.
>
>     In fact, we really only need /a1/b1 and /a2/b2 since r5 does not
>     belong to the /a3/b3 hierarchy.
>
>     Therefore this algorithm needs at least 2 corrections:
>
>        1. Correct it so that it only includes one copy of each
>           normative identity of each parent.
>        2. Correct it so that it does not include normative identities
>           of the parent which are part of hierarchies to which it does
>           not belong, since policies on those hierarchies can have no
>           bearing on this node because the normative representations
>           within those hierarchies cannot refer to this node because
>           it does not have a normative representation in those
>           hierarchies to which it does not belong.
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome. I will wait for feedback on
> emails and discussion at the next TC meeting before proceeding with

>>> parent-id = B
>>> self-or-ancestor = C
>>> self-or-ancestor = B