Subject: Re: [xacml] New core and multiple resource profile and hierarchical

Rich and TC,

I have reviewed the draft you have posted (wd 05-02) as well as the
recent discussion on the list, and I think the draft needs some more work.

I agree with you that the old profile had lots of ambiguities and small
errors in it, and I think you have done a good job at spotting them and
you have improved the text in many places.

However, I also think that the new work you have added in there
complicates matters needlessly. There are two reasons for that:

1. You try to write the profile so it works with multiple intersecting
hieararchies. I think that is the wrong way to do it. It should be
specified for a single hierarchy only. If you need to apply it on
multiple hierarchies, the way to do it is to preprocess the hierarchies
by merging them into a single hierarchy. This joint hierarchy also needs
to meet some consistency criteria, or the whole thing becomes
meaningless and inconsistent. See more about that below.

2. You use the "root" concept. That is actually not required at all. As
you have realized, the concept of a root in a DAG becomes messy to
define and handle. I think we should just drop any reference to a "root"
in the whole profile. All we need are "ancestors", and those are found
by following the edges upwards. Not down from the root, so the root
doesn't have to be defined. (In fact, in a DAG, there is not necessarily
a unique root anyway.)

Finally, I think we should write the normative sections so they target a
DAG only. Trees and forests follow as special cases. We can add
explanatory text to make this clear, but the normative parts become much
simpler if we don't define many different types of hierarchies.

I propose the following changes:

- First, a small nitpick. ;-) I don't like "Working draft 05-02". I
think working drafts should progress 5, 6, 7, 8 and so on. It's
confusing that there are several documents, all called working draft 5.

- Remove all the new definitions of "polyarchy", etc. They are not
needed. Use only the term "DAG".

- Define a hierarchy as a DAG, where the nodes correspond to resources
and the edges correspond to child-parent relationships.

- Define that each node in the hierarchy has one or more "normative
representations" (names). A normative representations is defined as an
XACML datatype value instance, which is provided in the request (through
the context handler or the PEP). A representation which is not provided
in the request is not normative, and may not be referenced in policies.

- This is actually already implied, but maybe worth stating: if one
merges a number of hierarchies in the pre-processing step, the merged
hiearchy must be consistent with respect to node representation/naming
and the parent-child relationship. That is, if A and B are two
representations of a node and C and D are representations of another
node, and there is a relationship between the nodes, the same
relationship applies to all representations/names. So all of the
following would apply, not just some of them: A-C, A-D, B-C and B-D. I
think the complexities in what you have done Rich is much due to that
you have tried to cover hierarchies where this is not true. But those
hierarchies are not internally consistent, so we cannot make them work.

- The ancestors of a node are defined as simply the transitive closure
of the parent-child relationship.

Note that the above points imply that there is a single hierarchy which
is a DAG. Also note that I don't make use of the term "root". It's not
needed.

- Add in a couple of examples with illustrations showing a simple tree
formed DAG and a more complex DAG which is not a tree and show how the
ancestors are found.

- Remove section 1.1.1. It's not needed if we specify the algorithms on
a sigle DAG only.

- Make a separate section about the URI-only scheme, saying that "in
some cases when the resources are represented as URIs, it may be
possible to simply do matching on portions of the resource
representations". Also make it clear that the PEP and PDP must agree on
which scheme is used, or the policies won't work.

- I think that a node may be represented by any XACML data type, like a
string for instance, not just URIs. This is what the user posted to the
comments list and requested that we change.

- I think there are some problems with section 2.2. In particular, it
should not say anything about UTF-8 encoding. That's already defined by
the core schema and it's unicode consistency requirements. I think
actually that we can drop the whole of section 2.2 and allow any form on
the normative representations of nodes. There is no reason to restrict
it to a particular form of a URI. (The section on the URI-based schema
should of course contain some restrictions for how that scheme is made
to work.)

- We should not define a new identifier for a functionality named
"...:forest:...".

- There is no need to various subsections on multi-rooted hierarchies or
polyarchies. See for instance 3.2.1 and 3.2.2.

In short, I think we need very few changes compared to the original
profile. We just need to clarify the terminology and definitions, put in
a couple of illustrations, relax the data type restrictions and add a
section of a URI matching based scheme as an alternative to the other
two schemes.

Best regards,
Erik