Subject: Re: [xacml] Conformance Tests

> Well, yes, but tags and branches are really a kludge in svn.
> Personally I have moved to version control software beyond svn. ;-)

I have heard of such things but never seen one... there is usually
just a crater and some smoke by the time I am able to observe the
magic :D

> And, I thought from the obligation/advice discussion that you felt
> that semantics are important. ;-)

They are important, I am just trying to find out what is driving your
requirements.

> I do think that v1 is a component. It's a component of the
> conformance test package. It's not a version of the conformance test
> package. Though it is a version of XACML, it's not XACML we are
> versioning here.

If I have a v1 compliant PDP I would want to test it against the v1
conformance tests. It doesn't seem logical that I would test it
against a portion of the v3 conformance tests. I am all for breaking
the test into core/profileA/profileB, but I disagree that we are not
maintaining versions of the tests since it is highly likely that there
may be revisions between XACML versions (making compliance test
version a useful bit of meta data ;)

> But anyway, I could live with your suggested approach.
>
> Regards,
> Erik
>
> Bill Parducci wrote:
>> functionally tags and branches are the same thing in svn. if the
>> semantics are an issue we can easily create/rename a directory
>> structure called 'branches' rather than 'tags', but i am strongly
>> opposed to creating static version names in the trunk. v1 is not a
>> 'component' of v2 if for no other reason than we cannot ensure 100%
>> backwards compatibility in the specification in definitely.
>>
>> further, this structure doesn't alleviate the "issue that spans
>> version" user case. if there are multiple "live" instances of a
>> test, the only solution is to replicate the changes (barring a
>> merge). conversely, there are changes that may have unique results
>> based upon version (e.g. deprecation of data type)

>> On Mar 9, 2009, at 7:00 AM, Erik Rissanen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bill,
>>>
>>> I propose that we keep it like this:
>>>
>>> current/tests/v1
>>> current/tests/v2/core