Subject: Re: [xacml] Summary of what I think I said on the call about thehierarchical profile

Hi Erik,

Previous email was simply to respond to what I believe was the inaccurate premise about on which you started your email.

That aside, let me respond to the content of your email. You say:
"if we define the profile in terms of the ancestor attributes. This corresponds to that for the purposes of the profile, there is an already defined, _single_ "hierarchy" (if we allow a general interpretation of the term), which is "flattened" to ancestor attributes. The profile does not have to deal with inconsistencies in multiple hierarchies."
The assumption you are making here appears to be that the resources are simply part of a predefined hierarchy. There is a big problem with this assumption, when you consider it in terms of the algorithms defined in section 3.2.
  • These algorithms (3.2) presume that the requested node can have multiple parents and those parents also can have multiple parents etc.
  • If we are also to take as a given, that this "hierarchy" has already been "flattened" in terms of ancestor attributes, then that assumes we have already erased any original hierarchical relationships.
That is the problem: the prescription in section 3.2 essentially tells customers that they must turn their multiple hierarchically arranged forest of resources into a DAG in order to use this profile.

My proposal allows you to do exactly that, and if that's what you want to do, use section 3.2.1 of my proposed revision which is exactly what is in the existing profile.

However, if as I believe is perfectly reasonable, that customers do not want to do a preprocessing step that effectively destroys their existing hierarchies in order to create a DAG with all of its problems, then I am offering section 3.2.2, which saves them the trouble of having to do this DAG pre-processing, and allows them to work with their pre-existing forest as is, instead.

And, finally, once again, if they have their resources hierarchically named, as prescribed in section 2.2, they can use the forest model from section 3.2.2 without the need to create the ancestors, because they already have them in the URIs.

The issue here seems to be the ancestor model for forest. The existing algorithms basically suggest that the customer cut down their original forest and replace it with a DAG.

Section 3.2.2 says that instead of replacing the forest with a DAG, determine the ancestors by following the original hierarchies directly, which of course you can't do if you have already replaced your forest with a DAG.

Or if you didn't replace your forest and just created a DAG in front of it, section 3.2.2 says disregard this DAG and process the forest directly.

One final note: you made the following point twice in your email, so I want to clarify that I do not believe what you are claiming is, in general, a problem:
  • "Once you start adding a resource to multiple, independently defined hierarchies, you can get inconsistencies. Two nodes may have reverse ancestor relationships in two different hierarchies."

  • "for the purposes of the profile, there is an already defined, _single_ "hierarchy" (if we allow a general interpretation of the term), which is "flattened" to ancestor attributes. The profile does not have to deal with inconsistencies in multiple hierarchies"
These "inconsistencies" you are referring to, only exist if you want to create a DAG. If you just work on the forest, they are not inconsistencies and do not create any problems. It is only when you map the forest into the highly constrained DAG that you find that by forcing a DAG on the forest, you effectively force rules on the forest that only need to be there if you want to create a DAG.

As has been discussed, not everyone believes that transforming a set of hierarchies into a DAG is a good idea. It may be for some applications, like creating dictionaries of resources, but that is not an access control application. It is an inventory-type application. For access control there is no requirement to create a DAG, and little incentive to do so, if it will force rules on assignment of relations for resources that are not needed and prevent creation of organizational resource relations that are considered desirable.

On the one hand, technically, this issue boils down to:
  • How to define the ancestors (DAG or forest)
On the other hand, operationally, the issue boils down to:
  • Do customers want to represent their resources in the form of a DAG, which will effectively make it impossible for them to manage multiple hierarchies independently.
For the first technical point, my proposal offers both options.
For the second operational point, my proposal offers 3.2.2, 3.2.2.1 if they find the DAG too restrictive.

All this is done with no change in functionality, but simply be explaining the problem being solved by the profile more clearly, which makes obvious the alternate set of algorithm in section 3.2.2.

    Thanks,
    Rich

Rich.Levinson wrote:
49B7C87B.5020807@oracle.com" type="cite">Hi Erik,

I think that you are misinterpreting what I said in the previous email. Let me try to be more explicit:

  1. Start with an unnamed collection of resources. Let's say there are
     N individual identical resources.
  2. On a laptop, using a program, create an array of N variables, for
     example
         int parent[] = new parent[N];
  3. Now I can start creating my hierarchy by assigning a value to
     these parent ints which somehow identifies another of the
     resources in the collection. I believe at this point that I must
     pick some method to identify the elements of the collection,
     otherwise there is no meaning to this value.
  4. For the sake of discussion, let me choose to use the index of the
     element in the array as the way to identify the parent. Therefore,
     I can pick any element in the array and assign it a value in the
     range 0->N-1. For example, I can say:
         parent[i] = j;
  5. Using this technique I can create a hierarchy of these resources.

This is basically an implementation of the example I gave in this email I was asked to prepare to help the TC understand the issue by example:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200902/msg00058.html

The bottom line is that in order to assign parent child relationships, you need to have something to hold the assignment artifact. There will be one artifact holder for each resource. When you assign an artifact to a holder, this artifact must somehow identify another resource in the collection in order for it to have any meaning in terms of this operation of assigning a parent child relationship.

So, in the example I gave in the email, each of the 2 customers assigned parent child relations to the empty boxes on the piece of paper they were each handed.

When customer 1 handed the paper to the collection manager, the manager did the equivalent of the above.

The fact that I had id-numbers painted on the box was just to help people understand the problem. The example works equally well if you paint the numbers on the boxes later after the customers have handed in their papers and the manager entered their data into 2 arrays.

The manager would then create a 3rd array and assign these painted numbers then.

This is totally consistent with what you are calling "Way A":

   "In way A, one first defines the parent-child relations on the
   resources themselves, independent of anything with names. After that
   is done, one can give name to the nodes. There is no risks of
   inconsistencies."

So, I do not understand, what you are trying to indicate in your email, since it appears to premised on an assumption you are making that appears to be inconsistent with what I have been saying in these emails. Since I believe I have been totally consistent in my representation of the problem, we should be able to unambiguously resolve this "Way A", "Way B" discussion, and possibly come up with some terminology on which we agree so that we may continue this analysis without having to continually re-explain what we are talking about.

   Thanks,
   Rich

Erik Rissanen wrote:
Hi Rich,

What you describe is what I meant with "Way B".

In way A, one first defines the parent-child relations on the resources themselves, independent of anything with names. After that is done, one can give name to the nodes. There is no risks of inconsistencies.

In contrast, in Way B, you initially have a set of hierarchies. Once you start adding a resource to multiple, independently defined hierarchies, you can get inconsistencies. Two nodes may have reverse ancestor relationships in two different hierarchies. This is inherent in this model, and has nothing to do with how we formulate the profile.

Anyway, all this is outside the scope of the profile itself if we define the profile in terms of the ancestor attributes. This corresponds to that for the purposes of the profile, there is an already defined, _single_ "hierarchy" (if we allow a general interpretation of the term), which is "flattened" to ancestor attributes. The profile does not have to deal with inconsistencies in multiple hierarchies.

The single "hierarchy" which the profile works on, may be a the result from a preprocessing step where a number of independent hierarchies have been merged. But not, it's not always possible to merge hierarchies consistently.

Best regards,
Erik

Rich.Levinson wrote:
Hi Erik,

In fact, my view has always been "Way A". My conceptualization is that there is a collection of physical resources and that an organization organizes the resources in various ways, and, in particular, as hierarchies. Every time someone adds a resource to a hierarchy, the resource gets a new name and parent attached to it. After this has been done for a while the net result is that the collection of physical resources can be viewed as having one or more hierarchies "draped" over it. For every hierarchy a resource belongs to, it, in general can be assumed to be assigned a name and a parent. Hopefully, we agree that is "Way A" and based on that assumption, it should be fairly straight forward to understand the issue:

Ok, so, based on your formula, what I do is:

    * follow the parent-child relations
    * this is fine at the requested resource, I find all my parents
    * now I go to each parent and collect all of its parents ***

This is where the problem is introduced. As soon as I collect a parent of my parent that is not a member of a hierarchy I am in, we have defined a DAG.

If I stick to parents of parents that are members of hierarchies I am in, then I am in a forest.

The diff in these 2 methods is that the DAG method doesn't bother to look at whether the requested node is a member of the hierarchy that it is following from the requested node's parent.

The problem compounds as you follow each generation.

    Thanks,
    Rich

Erik Rissanen wrote:
Rich, Hal and All,

Just a quick comment. I don't think that just because a resource, or an ancestor, has multiple normative names, the hierarchy would become a DAG. We need to differentiate between resources and names of resources.

One way ("Way A") to think of the problem is that the parent-child relations are bound to resources, not the resource names. To collect the ancestors to the request, one has to follow the parent-child relations, and then include all names of all ancestor resources. That is what the profile tries to say. (I think.) And that would be correct in my opinion. And would not necessarily mean that the profile was made to support a DAG.

An alternative way ("Way B") is to think that the parent-child relations are tied to the resource names, not the resources themselves (or that there are no resources independent of names). I get the feeling that at least Rich looks at it like this.

I think way B is problematic since it opens up the possibility that parent-child relations between different names for the same resources conflict with each other. This is what I meant with "consistency" in my post last week. By adopting way A, we avoid the problem.

Best regards,
Erik

Rich.Levinson wrote:
/ /I agree with that. However, it is the algorithms that allow and appear to encourage collection of non-member ancestors. Here is the text:

    For each ancestor of the node specified in the “resource-id”
    attribute or attributes, *and for each normative representation of
    that ancestor node*, an <Attribute> element with AttributeId
    “urn:oasis::names:tc:xacml:2.0:resource:resource-ancestor”.

    The <AttributeValue> of this <Attribute> SHALL be the normative
    identity of the ancestor node.
    The DataType of this <Attribute> SHALL depend on the
    representation chosen for the identity of nodes in this particular
    resource.
    This <Attribute> MAY specify an Issuer.
    For each “resource-parent” attribute, there SHALL be a
    corresponding “resource-ancestor” attribute.
    If the requested node is part of a forest rather than part of a
    single tree, *or if the ancestor node has more than one normative
    representation*, there SHALL be at least one instance of this
    attribute for each ancestor along each path to the multiple roots
    of which the requested node is a descendant, *and for each
    normative representation of each such ancestor*.

It is the addition of all the "...each normative representation of each such ancestor" which clearly opens up these algorithms to imply a DAG. Without these phrases, it is still not particularly tight, but alone they could be interpreted to imply a forest. With the phrases DAG is inescapable.

The point is that these are ancestor nodes and nothing ties their normative representations to be those that are in the hierarchies of which the requested node is a member.

This IS the problem. It is these specific algorithms and what they say about ancestors that forces you into a DAG. It clearly includes hierarchies of which the requested node is not a member.

Therefore, it sounds like we are in agreement. That there is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Thanks,
Rich

Hal Lockhart wrote:
As I have said repeatedly, the only problem with combining the initial hierarchies into a DAG arises if the original hierarchies include hierarchies of which the Resource is NOT A MEMBER.

Hal