Subject: Re: [xacml] Summary of what I think I said on the call about thehierarchical profile

Hi Erik,

I think we may be getting closer to a resolution, because these discussions have, in fact, imo, been converging to place focus on the core issue I have been trying to address.

There is no question that this is a difficult issue to conceptualize, but I think we have been talking about a core model of a collection of resources that have hierarchies associated with them. And this all exists prior to us coming along with the hierarchical profile in order enable the use of XACML to protect these resources.

Here is how I would conceptualize your example use case (which I think is similar to some use cases I ref'd earlier about an "intersecting" org chart hierarchy and facilities hierarchy):
  1. For the sake of discussion let's say the budgeting department has hierarchy of employees, each of whom has a PC on their desk that they use in the budgeting process.
  2. Let's also say the IT-svcs has hierarchy of employees as well and that those employees are in charge of taking care of all the PCs in the company including the budgeting dept pcs.
How to model this: this is the approach I have been describing:
  1. All the entities identified so far may be considered to be resources: the individual people and the individual PCs
  2. As you have described I think all the people can be identified within an org chart hierarchy and all the PCs probably can be considered to be a flat pool of resources (at least when they arrive on the shipping dock) each of which can be assigned to one or more people for specific purposes when they are unpacked and put into service. Let's say there are 2 purposes defined: primary-user and maintenance-person. So, when a PC is put into service it gets a parent in the budgeting dept who will be its primary-user, and a parent in the IT svcs dept who will be its maintenance-person. So, effectively each PC when put into service belongs to two hierarchies: primary-user and maintenance-person.
  3. The way this could conceptually work is that the head of the IT-dept is responsible for the activities of the maintenance-people in the IT-dept. So each maintenance-person will have an identity within the maintenance dept as a maintenance-person, as will the head of the IT-dept as the top maintenance-person. So, the IT-head assigns PCs to maintenance-persons and all the maintenance-persons report to the IT-head directly (small company), so there is a 3 level maintenance-person hierarchy and they maintain all the PCs in the company, including those in the budgeting dept.
  4. Now you also said that the budgeting dept was superior to the IT-dept, so let's assume the IT-head reports to the budgeting-head. These relations, maybe we can call the org-person relation, where every person in the company has an identity as an "org-person", and let's say that for the PC's, the primary-user hierarchy they belong to means that the PC will identify an "org-person" as its parent.
  5. Now all PCs can have 2 parents, each in a different hierarchy: one parent in the org-person hierarchy and one in the maintenance-person hierarchy.
  6. You have also mentioned that budgeting, itself, has some ownership of entities so we could also add a budgeting-parent to each PC, which similar to IT could have a hierarchy reporting to the budgeting head.
From my point of view, this is simply a forest of 3 hierarchies, where each PC is a member of 3 hierachies, and the budgeting people and IT people are members of 2 hierarchies.

For section 3.2.2 in the v5-02 draft, each PC would have ancestors straight up to the 3 roots: IT-head, Budgeting-head, and Organization-head (being the top org-person).

I don't see any inconsistencies yet, so let's push it a little further:
  1. Let's say that the budgeting people also are assigned a maintenance person, who is a person they call when they have a problem with their PC, and let's say the IT-head assigns the maint-people in his dept as the authority who can go up to the budgeting person and say "I need to do something to your PC right now, so please move aside". Let's assume this also applies to the budgeting head to whom the IT-head reports. i.e. a maintenance-person reporting to the IT-head who reports to the budgeting-head is identified as a parent of the budgeting-head, as the budgeting-head's maintenance-person who has authority of the budgeting-head's PC and can tell the budgeting-head to "Step aside, please.".
I think this would characterize the "cycle" that you are referring to as the inconsistency.

At this point I simply would say that the only reason there is an "inconsistency" is that for some reason there is a requirement to model this situation as a DAG. This has been my point all along: with the forest, there is no problem. There are multiple hierarchies and you can put a policy set over all the hierarchies that can resolve conflicts between the hierarchies. I agree that with the DAG you are stuck, and don't know which hierarchy is which, plus the system gets stuck in a loop.

Again, I cannot understand why one would want to try to wedge this use case into a DAG. The forest handles it without any problems.

Please let me know if I have missed anything and if you agree that the modeling steps represent the use case, and hopefully we can develop this example further, if necessary, in order to somehow work toward a solution.

    Thanks,
    Rich

Erik Rissanen wrote:
49B87922.9060009@axiomatics.com" type="cite">
Thanks Rich,

If you put it this way, then it's "Way A".

With Way B I meant that there exists multiple hierarchies which are
defined independently from each other. Maybe the relation to naming was
confusing, and I'm not sure I understand that myself yet clearly.

As a (contrived) example of Way B, think of an organization which has,
among others, two units: "IT-services" and "Budgeting".

There exists a hierarchy for a budgeting process in which the budgeting
department is superior to IT-services, so Budgeting is an ancestor to
IT-services.

There also exists a hierarchy for management of IT infrastructure, in
which the IT-services department controls the IT-resources of the
budgeting department, so in this hierarchy the IT-services department is
an ancestor of Budgeting.

If we would combine these two hierarchies, the result won't be consistent.

The point I am trying to make is that if there are multiple hierarchies,
it is not guaranteed that their combination is even a DAG. It can be
entirely inconsistent (a graph which contains cycles).

So I think we have to assume that there exists a consistent hierarchy,
before we can say anything. The above counterexample proves that there
cannot exist an algorithm which turns any set of hierarchies into a
joint DAG.

With the discussion on naming I meant that if you do have a consistent
hierarchy, it is no problem that the nodes may have multiple "normative
descriptions" (names). You seemed to indicate in an earlier email that
multiple "normative descriptions" (which it says in the 2.0 profile) is
a problem.

Best regarsd,
Erik

Rich.Levinson wrote:

Hi Erik,

I think that you are misinterpreting what I said in the previous
email. Let me try to be more explicit:

   1. Start with an unnamed collection of resources. Let's say there
      are N individual identical resources.
   2. On a laptop, using a program, create an array of N variables,
      for example
          int parent[] = new parent[N];
   3. Now I can start creating my hierarchy by assigning a value to
      these parent ints which somehow identifies another of the
      resources in the collection. I believe at this point that I must
      pick some method to identify the elements of the collection,
      otherwise there is no meaning to this value.
   4. For the sake of discussion, let me choose to use the index of
      the element in the array as the way to identify the parent.
      Therefore, I can pick any element in the array and assign it a
      value in the range 0->N-1. For example, I can say:
          parent[i] = j;
   5. Using this technique I can create a hierarchy of these resources.

This is basically an implementation of the example I gave in this
email I was asked to prepare to help the TC understand the issue by
example:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200902/msg00058.html

The bottom line is that in order to assign parent child relationships,
you need to have something to hold the assignment artifact. There will
be one artifact holder for each resource. When you assign an artifact
to a holder, this artifact must somehow identify another resource in
the collection in order for it to have any meaning in terms of this
operation of assigning a parent child relationship.

So, in the example I gave in the email, each of the 2 customers
assigned parent child relations to the empty boxes on the piece of
paper they were each handed.

When customer 1 handed the paper to the collection manager, the
manager did the equivalent of the above.

The fact that I had id-numbers painted on the box was just to help
people understand the problem. The example works equally well if you
paint the numbers on the boxes later after the customers have handed
in their papers and the manager entered their data into 2 arrays.

The manager would then create a 3rd array and assign these painted
numbers then.

This is totally consistent with what you are calling "Way A":

    "In way A, one first defines the parent-child relations on the
    resources themselves, independent of anything with names. After
    that is done, one can give name to the nodes. There is no risks of
    inconsistencies."

So, I do not understand, what you are trying to indicate in your
email, since it appears to premised on an assumption you are making
that appears to be inconsistent with what I have been saying in these
emails. Since I believe I have been totally consistent in my
representation of the problem, we should be able to unambiguously
resolve this "Way A", "Way B" discussion, and possibly come up with
some terminology on which we agree so that we may continue this
analysis without having to continually re-explain what we are talking
about.

    Thanks,
    Rich

Erik Rissanen wrote:

Hi Rich,

What you describe is what I meant with "Way B".

In way A, one first defines the parent-child relations on the
resources themselves, independent of anything with names. After that
is done, one can give name to the nodes. There is no risks of
inconsistencies.

In contrast, in Way B, you initially have a set of hierarchies. Once
you start adding a resource to multiple, independently defined
hierarchies, you can get inconsistencies. Two nodes may have reverse
ancestor relationships in two different hierarchies. This is inherent
in this model, and has nothing to do with how we formulate the profile.

Anyway, all this is outside the scope of the profile itself if we
define the profile in terms of the ancestor attributes. This
corresponds to that for the purposes of the profile, there is an
already defined, _single_ "hierarchy" (if we allow a general
interpretation of the term), which is "flattened" to ancestor
attributes. The profile does not have to deal with inconsistencies in
multiple hierarchies.

The single "hierarchy" which the profile works on, may be a the
result from a preprocessing step where a number of independent
hierarchies have been merged. But not, it's not always possible to
merge hierarchies consistently.

Best regards,
Erik

Rich.Levinson wrote:

Hi Erik,

In fact, my view has always been "Way A". My conceptualization is
that there is a collection of physical resources and that an
organization organizes the resources in various ways, and, in
particular, as hierarchies. Every time someone adds a resource to a
hierarchy, the resource gets a new name and parent attached to it.
After this has been done for a while the net result is that the
collection of physical resources can be viewed as having one or more
hierarchies "draped" over it. For every hierarchy a resource belongs
to, it, in general can be assumed to be assigned a name and a
parent. Hopefully, we agree that is "Way A" and based on that
assumption, it should be fairly straight forward to understand the
issue:

Ok, so, based on your formula, what I do is:

    * follow the parent-child relations
    * this is fine at the requested resource, I find all my parents
    * now I go to each parent and collect all of its parents ***

This is where the problem is introduced. As soon as I collect a
parent of my parent that is not a member of a hierarchy I am in, we
have defined a DAG.

If I stick to parents of parents that are members of hierarchies I
am in, then I am in a forest.

The diff in these 2 methods is that the DAG method doesn't bother to
look at whether the requested node is a member of the hierarchy that
it is following from the requested node's parent.

The problem compounds as you follow each generation.

    Thanks,
    Rich

Erik Rissanen wrote:

Rich, Hal and All,

Just a quick comment. I don't think that just because a resource,
or an ancestor, has multiple normative names, the hierarchy would
become a DAG. We need to differentiate between resources and names
of resources.

One way ("Way A") to think of the problem is that the parent-child
relations are bound to resources, not the resource names. To
collect the ancestors to the request, one has to follow the
parent-child relations, and then include all names of all ancestor
resources. That is what the profile tries to say. (I think.) And
that would be correct in my opinion. And would not necessarily mean
that the profile was made to support a DAG.

An alternative way ("Way B") is to think that the parent-child
relations are tied to the resource names, not the resources
themselves (or that there are no resources independent of names). I
get the feeling that at least Rich looks at it like this.

I think way B is problematic since it opens up the possibility that
parent-child relations between different names for the same
resources conflict with each other. This is what I meant with
"consistency" in my post last week. By adopting way A, we avoid the
problem.

Best regards,
Erik

Rich.Levinson wrote:

/ /I agree with that. However, it is the algorithms that allow and
appear to encourage collection of non-member ancestors. Here is
the text:

    For each ancestor of the node specified in the “resource-id”
    attribute or attributes, *and for each normative
representation of
    that ancestor node*, an <Attribute> element with AttributeId
    “urn:oasis::names:tc:xacml:2.0:resource:resource-ancestor”.

    The <AttributeValue> of this <Attribute> SHALL be the normative
    identity of the ancestor node.
    The DataType of this <Attribute> SHALL depend on the
    representation chosen for the identity of nodes in this
particular
    resource.
    This <Attribute> MAY specify an Issuer.
    For each “resource-parent” attribute, there SHALL be a
    corresponding “resource-ancestor” attribute.
    If the requested node is part of a forest rather than part of a
    single tree, *or if the ancestor node has more than one normative
    representation*, there SHALL be at least one instance of this
    attribute for each ancestor along each path to the multiple roots
    of which the requested node is a descendant, *and for each
    normative representation of each such ancestor*.

It is the addition of all the "...each normative representation of
each such ancestor" which clearly opens up these algorithms to
imply a DAG. Without these phrases, it is still not particularly
tight, but alone they could be interpreted to imply a forest. With
the phrases DAG is inescapable.

The point is that these are ancestor nodes and nothing ties their
normative representations to be those that are in the hierarchies
of which the requested node is a member.

This IS the problem. It is these specific algorithms and what they
say about ancestors that forces you into a DAG. It clearly
includes hierarchies of which the requested node is not a member.

Therefore, it sounds like we are in agreement. That there is a
problem that needs to be fixed.

Thanks,
Rich

Hal Lockhart wrote:

As I have said repeatedly, the only problem with combining the
initial hierarchies into a DAG arises if the original hierarchies
include hierarchies of which the Resource is NOT A MEMBER.

Hal