Subject: Re: [xacml] CD-1 issue #11: strictness of xpath definition

Rich,

I maintain that the paradigm of matching xpath expressions with regular
expressions is flawed. XPath is a matching language in itself, and we
should not make an attempt to define another layer of string matching on
top of it because:

1. It is a complex task to do so, and it is very easy to make a mistake.

2. It is wasted effort since there are already xpath matching functions
in XACML which work perfectly well.

I agree that it could be a good idea to suggest how an implementation
could construct the xpath expressions in order to help implementers and
users alike, but that should not be normative. But I think that kind of
advice belongs to some implementation guide document, rather than the
standard specification itself.

Best regards,
Erik