Subject: RE: [xacml] Issue #11 again

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." (Knuth, possibly)

We should come to a clear understanding of the multiple authorization decision model first, before jumping to a "solution" that could muddle the rule language.

The core of XACML is evaluating a policy with respect to a single authorization decision request.  As a matter of convenience, there are some simple extensions to process multiple authorization decisions in one transaction.  Naturally, the more of something you do, the longer it will take, and implementors will be challenged to make this as fast as possible.  But as far as I know the TC has not targeted "naïve implementations", so why start now?

The TC should focus on providing a well-defined, consistent, useful rule language and processing model for access control--not on inventing shortcuts for XML processing.

Regards,
--Paul