Subject: Re: [xacml] Minutes for 19 November 2009 TC Meeting

Subsequent to the minutes

Rich.Levinson wrote:

> Proposed schema change for policies and discussion from
>  David Chadwick and response from Erik:
>   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200911/msg00023.html
>
>    Erik: David proposed req ctx schema for ext pts xml any, where
>     can put proprietary policy lang things; doesn't make sense
>     to std on any policies in fmt; suggest using saml/xacml
>     mechanism
>    Rich: sees it as potentially disruptive, effectively allowing
>     elements as children of PolicySet
>    Bill: proprietary elements don't make sense; need further info
>     to be considered;
>
>     defer topic until more info from David addressing concerns
>      in email and minutes

It makes sense because we cannot assume that every PDP talks the XACML
policy language. However, it is possible to make every PDP talk the
XACML request/response context. Once we have sticky policies and
obligations which we pass around a distributed system we need to be able
to cater for multiple policy languages. If you see my presentation at
W3C yesterday at

http://www.w3.org/2009/policy-ws/slides/Chadwick.pdf

and look at slide 5 from 11, you will see why we need to relax the
schema requirements on the policy element in the SAML-XACML profile,
otherwise we have no standard way of passing a sticky policy to an AIPEP
or Master PDP.

regards

David

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184