Subject: RE: [xacml] New issue: new attribute ids for xml multiple decisions

My point was that we shouldn't prevent any reasonable use of the generic
"resource-id" attribute by putting a special meaning on it in certain
contexts.  We should use special attributes for special purposes,
thereby leaving the generic attributes for application-specific uses.

The trouble with "resource-id" started when it took on a special meaning
as "an xpath expression for selecting a sequence of nodes in the Content
element".  This specialized meaning competes with the generic meaning of
"a primary identifier of a resource in the domain of interest of the
XACML application".

No matter how you choose primary identifiers in your domain of interest,
they are not likely to look like "*[3]/*[2]".  But the range of values
for XACML resource-id includes "123-456-789",
"http://foo.example.com/part-numbers/123-456-789";, and "//*[@part-number
= '123-456-789']".  The last item just doesn't belong in that list.

We could eliminate this confusion by deprecating xpathExpression
resource-ids in 3.0, but I suppose we are too far along for that.

But we don't need to extend the confusion by specifying additional uses
for this type of "resource-id".

Regards,
--Paul

<snip>