Subject: Re: [xacml] Any kind of policies in a request

Hi Anil

I dont understand precisely what your objection is. Please could you be
more specific by answering the following questions

i) there should be a general mechanism for querying any remote PDP for
an authz response Y/N

ii) there is a need to dynamically push a policy to a remote PDP along
with an authz decision request Y/N

iii) the v2 XACML request/response context can be used as a general
purpose mechanism for making an authz query to any ABAC PDP Y/N

iv) the SAMLv2 profile of XACML can be used as a general purpose
mechanism for pushing a policy to a remote PDP along with making an
authz query Y/N

regards

David

Anil Saldhana wrote:
> David,
>   I have a hard time really agreeing to your proposal of interlinking
> requests and xacml policies.
>
> The XACML policy aspect has to be out of band wrt the request-response
> mechanism.
>
> Regards,
> Anil
>
> On 11/23/2009 06:12 AM, Erik Rissanen wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> I have been thinking more about this.
>>
>> I think that an extension point to plug in any kind of policy format
>> does not belong in the XACML core schema, and thus not in the
>> <Request>. The XACML schema is for defining the XACML language, and we
>> would lose some of the benefits of standardization by allowing any
>> content in it.
>>
>> However, SAML defined in the past a protocol for AuthZ query/response.
>> It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that
>> there was an agreement between the SAML and XACML TCs that the XACML
>> request schema would supersede the SAML AuthZ formats, and SAML
>> dropped their own. The original SAML protocol was ambiguous regarding
>> the policy language.
>>
>> If we think of the XACML SAML profile to carry the legacy of the
>> original SAML AuthZ protocol, than I guess it would make sense to
>> support other policy languages since the original protocol was not
>> XACML specific.
>>
>> What do the rest of the TC see as the scope of the XACML SAML profile?
>> Is it just about supporting XACML, or does it have a wider scope?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Erik
>>
>> David Chadwick wrote:
>>> Subsequent to the minutes

>>> It makes sense because we cannot assume that every PDP talks the
>>> XACML policy language. However, it is possible to make every PDP talk
>>> the XACML request/response context. Once we have sticky policies and
>>> obligations which we pass around a distributed system we need to be
>>> able to cater for multiple policy languages. If you see my
>>> presentation at W3C yesterday at
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/2009/policy-ws/slides/Chadwick.pdf
>>>
>>> and look at slide 5 from 11, you will see why we need to relax the
>>> schema requirements on the policy element in the SAML-XACML profile,
>>> otherwise we have no standard way of passing a sticky policy to an
>>> AIPEP or Master PDP.
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> David

The Israeli group Breaking the Silence has just released a collection of
testimonies by Israeli soldiers that took part in the Gaza attack last
December and January. The testimonies expose significant gaps between
the official stances of the Israeli military and events on the ground.

See  http://www.shovrimshtika.org/news_item_e.asp?id=30

The Israeli government defies Obama, and continues its settlement expansion

Israel plans to allocate $250 million over the next two years for
settlements

http://www.palestinecampaign.org/index7b.asp?m_id=1&l1_id=4&l2_id=24&Content_ID=698

whilst simultaneously continuing to bulldoze Palestinian homes

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/301/t/9462/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=27357

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184