Subject: Re: [xacml] new issue: PolicyIdentifierList scope and order

Paul,

Section 5.42 says that this includes policy sets as well. So it was
always intended that they include policy sets as well.

I would prefer a separate element for the list and not use the
policy(id)reference element. These two purposes are very different and
it would be confusing if the same element can be used to two such
different uses. It would make the description of these elements in the
spec more complex since two different uses need to be described in the
same section.

I don't know whether it is necessary to keep the "namespaces" of policy
and policy set identifiers separate. If so, we should add a second
element for the list.

And if we would change the schema, I would prefer that the identifiers
use XML attributes rather than child elements, like this:

<PolicyIdentifier PolicyId="foo" Version="1.0"/>

It's more compact and readable. And elements are not needed since each
policy identifier has a one to one mapping to the two components.

Regarding your proposal that the policy id should be the id which
resulted in the decision, then it would be against the explicit design
of the original proposal. Also, it is very, very complex issue the
define which of the multitude policies was the "significant" one. I
wouldn't like to go there. At least not in the 3.0 timeframe.

Best regards,
Erik