Subject: Re: [xacml] new issue: PolicyIdentifierList scope and order

Paul,

See inline.

On 11/24/2009 08:33 PM, Tyson, Paul H wrote:

> [...]

I think this is good, except that XACML does not specify an evaluation
order. There is nothing in the spec which says that the PDP must
evaluate the policy tree from the root to the leafs and many policy
combining algorithms have no defined order for policy evaluation.

I think it would be mistake to require a defined order for the policy
identifier list since it would essentially force the implementation to
evaluate the policies in a particular order, or to implement a separate,
unoptimized code path for the case where it needs to collect the policy
id list. The implementation overhead would be very big or there would be
performance impact.

>> I would prefer a separate element for the list and not use
>> the policy(id)reference element. These two purposes are very
>> different and it would be confusing if the same element can
>> be used to two such different uses. It would make the
>> description of these elements in the spec more complex since
>> two different uses need to be described in the same section.
>>
> I do not see any context-specific aspects of PolicyIdReference and
> PolicySetIdReference.  They are pointers to a remote entity, no matter
> where they appear.  In a PolicySet, a conformant processor must
> dereference the id and process the contents.  Outside of a PolicySet, no
> behavior is specified, but I do not see why this would cause confusion.
> In a Result, these ids may be handled or ignored.

Well, I suppose you are right, but I think a dedicated element with the
right attributes would be better than overloading an existing element,
although it is only slightly.

>> I don't know whether it is necessary to keep the "namespaces"
>> of policy and policy set identifiers separate. If so, we
>> should add a second element for the list.
>>
> In my use case it is necessary to distinguish between Policies and
> PolicySets.  Because of our limited use of combining algorithms, there
> will only be one Policy in the list, and if that is always the last
> element in the list we can assume it is a Policy.
>
> However, that will not work in the general case.  There could be several
> non-NotApplicable Policies, so it would be helpful to distinguish
> between Policy ids and PolicySet ids.

I think it probably a good idea to separate them out since they are
separate everywhere else in the XACML spec and schema. There might be
surprises ahead out there in the wild if we break this convention.

Best regards,