Subject: Re: [xacml] F2F proposed agenda updated

Bill,

I don't expect that we will be able to close the issue in an one hour
session, but I hope that we could make some basic decisions, like "there
will be three independent schemes" or "scope = EntireHierachy is
malplaced", etc. I could then refactor the documents into new forms
which better isolates discussion to more specific issues.

Also, I think there are dependencies between the issues so we cannot
really close them until we have decided on them all. For instance,
regular xpath based policies have many open issues and we need to work
on that. It is also the case that multiple xpath decisions also have
issues. I think the solutions are going to partially overlap, but the
discussion becomes confusing if we do both at once. By doing a short
session on the merits of the various proposals on single xpath
decisioning use cases, we can avoid the complexities of multiple
decisions in the discussion. After we have working solutions on both, we
can see what features are common. Just for instance.

The months long debate has been difficult to some degree I think because
too many and broad issues have been discussed at once. I am just hoping
to clear things up a bit before we tackle the really hard issues.

If you think long sessions would work better, then I am open to it.

In any case we are not going to be able to solve anything unless we have
concrete proposals ready. If we think about how many open issues we have
and how many hours 2,5 - 3 days are, then it's clear that we don't have
many hours per issue. And we have easily spent the full TC call
discussing a single issue in the past. So making the F2F a success call
for good preparations.

The proposals list was one attempt of preparing the F2F. So we can start
making decisions, rather than understanding the proposals.

I think the biggest unknowns currently are the xpath issues, so that
should probably have a lot of time on the agenda. (I didn't really check
what each issue number was about when I did the revised agenda. I just
moved the items around.) But I think there are good ideas out there, for
instance the original offset discussions and Pauls latest emails, though
I think these proposals need to be tweaked a bit.

Best regards,
Erik