Subject: Re: [xacml] Break the Glass policies

Hi Robin

thanks for this reference. I will now download and read it.

I attach our paper, which is not online yet but will be in due course.
The interesting thing to me, is that in the live trails that took place
in the hospital, in just under 50% of cases the doctors who did not have
access but who were offered BTG, chose not to BTG when given this
option, meaning that the system does empower users to act responsibly
and they tend to do so when given the chance.

regards

David

Robin Cover wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Ludwig Seitz wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> you might want to look at this:
>> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1263871
>>
>> I think it is very similar to what you want to achieve.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ludwig
>
> By odd coincidence, I encountered a reference to XACML and BTG
> yesterday in an ACM SACMAT 2009 paper.  I provide some references
> below, though I've not yet spotted an online copy of David's
> ACSAC 2009 paper "How to Securely Break into RBAC: the BTG-RBAC Model"

> "Extending Access Control Models with Break-glass"
>
> Achim D. Brucker (achim.brucker@sap.com)
> SAP Research
>
> Helmut Petritsch (helmut.petritsch@sap.com)
> SAP Research
>
> Presented June 5, 2009 at ACM SACMAT
> Proceedings of the Fourteenth ACM symposium on Access Control Models and
> Technologies
> http://www.sacmat.org/2009/index.php
>
> http://www.brucker.ch/bibliography/abstract/brucker.ea-extending-2009.en.html
>
> http://www.brucker.ch/bibliography/download/2009/brucker.ea-extending-2009.pdf
>

> Access control models are usually static, i.e., permissions are
> granted based on a policy that only changes seldom. Especially
> for scenarios in health care and disaster management, a more
> flexible support of access control, i.e., the underlying policy,
> is needed.
>
> Break-glass is one approach for such a flexible support of
> policies which helps to prevent system stagnation that could
> harm lives or otherwise result in losses. Today, break-glass
> techniques are usually added on top of standard access control
> solutions in an ad-hoc manner and, therefore, lack an
> integration into the underlying access control paradigm and
> the systems' access control enforcement architecture. We
> present an approach for integrating, in a fine-grained manner,
> break-glass strategies into standard access control models
> and their accompanying enforcement architecture. This
> integration provides means for specifying break-glass policies
> precisely and supporting model-driven development techniques
> based on such policies.
>
> Our contributions are four-fold: first, we present a generic
> break-glass model. Second, we present a SecureUML extension
> supporting break-glass. Third, we present a security architecture
> supporting break-glass and, finally, a transformation from
> break-glass SecureUML policies to XACML. The rest of the paper
> is structured as follows: after introducing the preliminaries
> of our work in Section 2, we present a generic break-glass
> model which can be integrated into a large class of access
> control models in Section 3. In the same section, we also
> present, as an example for such an integration, an extension
> for SecureUML supporting break-glass. We present a security
> architecture supporting break-glass in Section 4. This
> architecture is the target of the transformation of break-glass
> [...]

The Israeli group Breaking the Silence has just released a collection of
testimonies by Israeli soldiers that took part in the Gaza attack last
December and January. The testimonies expose significant gaps between
the official stances of the Israeli military and events on the ground.

See  http://www.shovrimshtika.org/news_item_e.asp?id=30

The Israeli government defies Obama, and continues its settlement expansion

Israel plans to allocate $250 million over the next two years for
settlements

http://www.palestinecampaign.org/index7b.asp?m_id=1&l1_id=4&l2_id=24&Content_ID=698

whilst simultaneously continuing to bulldoze Palestinian homes

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/301/t/9462/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=27357

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184