Subject: Schema location references

All,

How do we want schema file names and schema location URLs specified in
schema cross references?

This concerns mostly the SAML profile schemas since they are the ones
which reference other schema files.

The XACML 2.0 schema files do things like

<xs:import namespace="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:2.0:policy:schema:os"

schemaLocation="http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/2.0/access_control-xacml-2.0-policy-schema-os.xsd"/>

Note how the schema import specifies the full path to the OASIS
repository as the schema file location. Also note how the approval level
"-os" is included in the file name.

Currently the working draft schemas contain for the 3.0 variant:

<import namespace="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:3.0:core:schema:wd-15"
         schemaLocation="xacml-core-v3-schema-wd-15.xsd"/>

This does not contain the full URL to the OASIS repository. It does
contain the stage "-wd-15" in the name.

I am asking since it is unclear to me whether the OASIS procedures will
allow us to update this reference after a vote to CD, CS or OS. I have
asked Mary and she suggests that we use a reference which does not
contain the full URL and also change the filename so it does not include
the stage, like this:

<import namespace="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:3.0:core:schema:wd-15"
         schemaLocation="xacml-core-v3-schema.xsd"/>

She suggests that we store the xacml file set in a directory with the
stage in the name, i.e.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/3.0/cd02/xacml-core-v3-schema.xsd

I am still exchanging emails with Mary, so I haven't got a definite
answer to whether the update could be done as a "designated cross
reference".

In any case, I would like to ask for the opinion of the TC on how we
prefer the schema location to be.

I would prefer to keep the stage part of the file name. Seems risky to
have different files with the same filename floating around, although
the would be stored in different directories in the OASIS repositories.
But maybe this is not an issue.

BTW, when I think of it now, I am unsure whether we are even allowed to
update the namespace in the schema file itself, irrespective of any
cross references, since the TC process only allows updating of "cover
page stuff, running footer, and any designated cross-references". I
don't like it, but I suppose we could set everything to "-os" in the
working draft, so we don't need to make any changes.

Best regards,