Subject: RE: [xacml] Groups - Asserting attribute predicates in SAML and XACML(XACML_TC_Conditions_in_SAML-XACML[1].ppt) uploaded

Greg,

On further reflection, I have concerns about the proposal to include XACML Conditions in a SAML Assertion.

My question is, what exactly do you propose to do with the condition expression? I can think of at least four possible operations which might be performed:

1. Compute the expression value using the input attributes,
2. Find the attributes needed to compute the expression value,
3. Find attributes which produce a particular expression value, e.g. TRUE, and
4. Compare two different expressions (e.g. in the SAML Assertion and in the XACML Policy) to determine if they will give the same result.

XACML only really says how to do #1. We generally can manage to do #2 for conventional attributes, but I am not sure how it would work for the advanced, privacy preserving credentials you described on the last call.

I believe that #4 is NP-complete in the general case.

Can you outline exactly what steps would be performed in making use of a condition in a SAML (attribute) assertion?

Hal

TC_Conditions_in_SAML-XACML%5B1%5D.ppt

-OASIS Open Administration