Subject: Re: [xacml] Draft BTG Profile

Hi Martin

Given your two use cases below I would say that

1. is similar to our use case, but the solution you propose is somewhat
different to the one proposed in our BTG draft profile. The difference
appears to be as follows
a) you require the user to assert a particular attribute that it is not
normal to assert. The policy rule will grant access to the resource if
this "exceptional" attribute is asserted by the user
b) we only require the user to assert a normal attribute, but to request
a special permission "BTG". The BTG permission is granted for any users
who have this normal attribute. Once the BTG permission has been
granted, the state of the system changes (equivalent to the glass being
broken on the fire door) to BTG=true. The policy rule says that users
with normal attributes are granted access to the resource if BTG=true
(so they are normally denied access until the glass is broken).

2. This is out of scope of BTG and the draft profile is not trying to
address this aspect at all

regards

david

On 23/11/2010 21:55, Smith, Martin wrote:
> (Note―I don’t think this comment will reach the list as I am an
> observer, not a member. If one of you--John/David―is a Member an wants
> to forward this message to the list, please do so.)
>
> In the contexts that we (in my part of DHS) have been considering
> similar issues, we would basically agree that there are two important
> “use cases” to cover, but we use slightly different terms, i.e.,
>
> 1. Some access attributes may allow the requestor to assert them
> (perhaps from a pick list of “authorized purposes” for the info may be
> sought; perhaps with a warning (“You are asserting an authorized purpose
> for accessing this info. Your access may be audited and legal action
> taken if it is determined that the use was fraudulent or unauthorized.”)
> For the BTG scenario, the assertion of “FIRE!” may be the ONLY access
> attribute required, but of course the asserted “authorized purpose”
> attribute might also be only one of several required attributes:
> “JobRole=PassportOffice Clerk AND AuthorizedPurpose=”Validating
> Application”.
>
> 2. Access may also be conditional on some environmental attribute
> obtained by the PDP or whatever at rule-evaluation time (and not
> associated with or provisioned from the requestor’s credentials or the
> requested resource’s metadata or value.) Examples: “CurrentThreatLevel;
> “EmergencyDeclared”.
>
> Martin
>
> **/Martin F. Smith/**
> Director, National Security Systems
> US Department of Homeland Security
> NAC 19-204-47
> (202) 447-3743 desk
> (202) 441-9731 mobile
> (800) 417-6930 page

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
School of Computing, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184