Subject: RE: [xacml] BTG comment

I have no objection (from a TC standpoint) to anyone using any XACML attribute to do anything they want.  There is no need of an OASIS standard for those cases.

I do, however, want the specifications and profiles produced by the TC to encourage good architecture and consistent behavior of XACML systems.

The BTG proposal in front of the TC describes distinguished obligation IDs, action-id values, and attributes whose intended use includes specific behavior of a XACML system that heretofore has not been sanctioned by the specifications. (Nor, as far as I can tell, has it been proscribed.)

I am not trying to over-complicate things, beyond the complexity that was introduced by the proposed BTG profile.

Regards,

--Paul

From: Smith, Martin [mailto:Martin.Smith@DHS.GOV]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 10:12
To: Doron Grinstein; Rich.Levinson
Cc: Erik Rissanen; Tyson, Paul H; Davis, John M.; David Chadwick; xacml@lists.oasis-open.org; Tolbert, John W

Agree with Doron:  in fact, BTG does not “break the rules” – because the rule set includes the rule that “if BTG_condition  = true then permit . .”

One notion I have not seen explicitly in the discussion is that in the case of the BTG scenario, the “authoritative attribute source” is the requestor (who is asserting that an emergency condition exists.)    Can that attribute be asserted falsely? Sure. But assuming we have audit, then there is probably adequate control of that risk.   This is how we plan to handle a whole class of situations where (1) the appropriate “attributes” are difficult or impossible to obtain as facts from sources other than the requestor (e.g., “probable cause” or action “for the purpose of”) and (2) where audit of the action is considered adequate to control the risk of requestor self-assertion.

Martin

Martin F. Smith
Director, National Security Systems
US Department of Homeland Security