Subject: BTG issues

Dear All

from the in depth discussions we have had on the call today, I have
listed the following issues and their current state of resolution

1. Should there be a BTG state attribute. Unanimously agreed by the call
that there should be.

2. Should there be a standardised BTG response from the PDP (vs. user
knows by magic that he can break the glass). Majority in favour of this
but its not yet unanimous.

3. When the BTG action is granted, should there be either an obligation
in the policy to set the BTG state vs. a special purpose application
such as a Glass manager that knows it has to set the state. There is no
agreement on this issue yet.

4. Should the BTG mechanism only use existing components in standard
mode. This was agreed unanimously.

5. Can BTG be made into a more generic model (e.g. to include dynamic
roles or alert status) rather than being specific to BTG. David proposed
yes, if we replace BTG by the general concept of a third class of user
who is entitled to override a Deny if he is willing to take the
consequences, then we can remove all mention to BTG and call it
Controlled Access Override

6. Should different mechanisms be used for inter organisational use case
vs. intra organisational use case. David proposes this issue is out of
scope of the discussion since it is not an issue addressed in general by
XACML.

7. Should the standardised BTG response (if there is one) contain advice
to the user which details the obligations that will be carried out if he
decides to override the deny (so the user knows in advance what the
outcomes of his override will be). General feeling that this is a good
thing.

8. What are the dimensions of the state attribute and should it be
standardised how these dimensions are specified? This issue was not
discussed in the call today, but has been raised on the list. There
seems to be general agreement that the state is multi-dimensional and
based on attributes of the subject, action, resource and environment.

I would propose that we address issue 5 first in more depth, since this
concerns scoping of the work, and whether it is restricted to BTG or to
a more general concept of there being some class of user (as specified
in the policy) who is able to turn a deny into a grant.

regards

David

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
School of Computing, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184