Subject: Re: [xacml] wd-19 indeterminate policy target handling

Hi Ray (and Paul, and TC),

(Part 1 is to Ray/TC, Part 2 is rsp to Paul re: yesterday's mtg
about whether this discussion is part of issue raised on list, and
Part 3 is some "items" I found in the spec that might be quick
fixes. Decided to combine to 1 email because none of the parts
really represent a separate issue and all are loosely related to
the current issue)

Hi Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the email where I tried
to explain my ongoing concern (which I basically agreed at yesterday's
meeting to defer to an implementation guide document that we have
had an ongoing "commitment" to produce at some unspecified future
time :) ).

In any event, the primary reason I am looking for closure on this
issue is that I get questions from developers on a regular basis
about XACML, and now that 3.0 is imminent those questions are
turning in that direction and I need to be able to explain
what's going on.

That being said, maybe we can rephrase the issue as to what it
means when it says on line 5739:
"The following pseudo-code represents the normative
  specification of this combining algorithm."
The first line of the algorithm that follows appears to be some kind of
interface signature:
Decision denyOverridesCombiningAlgorithm(Decision[] decisions)
It sounds to me like what you are saying is that when a software
development organization sees that in the specification,
that said organization will be completely comfortable by implementing
the parameter, Decision[] decisions, by passing in an Iterator to a collection
of Decision objects that have not yet been resolved.

In other words, if a development organization first implements
this algorithm by passing in a precalculated array as represented
by the normative interface signature, and then they complain
that it is too inefficient, that I can tell them to pass in an
Iterator to a collection of unprocessed nodes and just calculate
the Decision objects in the first line of the loop. For example,
I could suggest that the first line of the loop look something
like:
    Decision denyOverridesCombiningAlgorithm(Iterator decisions)
    for ... {
        Decision decision = evaluate(decisions.next())
where Iterator.next() returns a PolicySet, Policy, or Rule, and "evaluate()"
produces the Decision.

If that is what you are suggesting and people agree, then I am ok with that,
as well, I think, assuming people really believe that this is an acceptable
view of the specification.

    Thanks,
    Rich

*******************************  end part 1

Part 2: re: Paul's comment at yesterday's mtg that original question was
Target, and not what yesterday's discussion was about:

    Also, to Paul's comment at yesterday's meeting that this
    discussion was originally about the Target, which I agree
    with, my response at mtg was that this aspect we are currently
    discussing arose from the analysis of the Target. In particular,
    one of the key issues w the Target, was whether or not
    the underlying Rules (or Policies or PolicySets) needed to
    be evaluated. My initial inclination was that they did not,
    but the following discussion convinced me otherwise.

    What ultimately convinced me was the realization that
    w/o looking at the rules, since the rules are the only
    place where D and P are defined, that there was no way
    to then assign D,P,or DP to the Indeterminate found by
    the Target.

    Then, based on that understanding, it became clear to me
    that it was not sufficient to just look at the list of
    D's and P's, because, if the Target had not been
    Indeterminate, then rules would be evaluated and the
    result might be completely different than if one did
    not evaluate the Rules. It seemed to me a bad idea that
    the collection of rules could produce a different
    result dependent on whether the Target was Indeterminate
    or not. Therefore, since we have to evaluate the Rules
    when the Target is not Indeterminate (and not NotApplicable),
    then for consistency, if we wanted a D, P, or DP to come
    out of the Rules, then in both cases, regardless of the
    result of the Target, we had to evaluate the Rules.

    It was while going thru this analysis of what it meant
    whether or not we evaluated the rules that this other
    aspect of the issue that we are discussing came up.
*******************************  end part 2

Part 3: some minor issues that could possibly be quickly addressed:

    1. line 569:
        "A policy comprises four main components"
       should be:
        "A policy comprises five main components"
    (because Advice was added)

    2.  I found some lack of clarity wrt "Named Attribute" in a few spots:

    section 5.9 (1609-10) is somewhat ambiguous wrt to what it is
    trying to say, and clarification needed to section 5.29 as
    to what is the "named attribute" vs the "attribute"; i.e.
    the named attribute appears to be specified by the subelements
    of the AttributeDesignator element (which turn out to be consistent
    w defn in sec 7.3, but not particularly w glossary).

    also lines 47-50 should probably change:
        "the identity of the attribute holder
         (which may be of type:
         subject, resource, action or environment)"
    to:
        "the category of the entity holding the attribute
         (which may be of category:
         subject, resource, action, environment, or other)"
    note: see 2b below for usage of term "entity"

       2a. Named attribute: best defn appears sec 7.3, lines 3220-3221:
        "A named attribute is the term used for the criteria
         that the specific attribute designators use to refer
         to particular attributes in the <Attributes> elements
         of the request context."
        recommend ref'ing this in section 5.29, end of 1st para.

    2b. I think, in general that the Attributes element is missing a noun. i.e. an
    Attributes element is a collection of Attribute elements, where the
    Attributes element specifies the Category to which this collection
    belongs. The question is: Category of what?

    i.e. there is no word to collectively refer to Subject, Resource, Action,
    Environment, etc. Simply saying they are the name of a Category
    is incomplete.

    In any event, my suggestion is we start referriing to a collection of
    a specific category of attributes as collectively referring to an "entity".
    This is pretty much consistent with the document as is, but could
    use a couple of tweaks, which could be quickly identified if people
    agree to this change.

    4. line 3093: should last word of first sentence be "undefined"
        rather than "defined"?