Subject: wd-20 policy evaluation description

Hi Erik & all

I appreciate and admire the work Erik has done to put these late changes
on a complicated topic into the 3.0 spec.  But there are a couple of
things that I would like to discuss.

The reworded first paragraphs under 7.12 and 7.13 are not clear enough.
Some of the wording from the previous version should be preserved, to
make it clear that the Target determines applicability of the policy,
while the combining algorithm applied to the Rule or Policy[Set]
children determine the result.  The wd-20 wording leaves open the
interpretation that the Target participates in the combining algorithm.

For 7.12 opening paragraphs I propose:

"The value of a policy SHALL be determined by its contents, considered
in relation to the contents of the request context.

"The policy's target SHALL be evaluated to determine the applicability
of the policy.  If the target evaluates to "Match" then the value of the
policy SHALL be determined by evaluating the policy's rules according to
the specified rule combining algorithm.  If the target evaluates to "No
match" then the value of the policy shall be "Not Applicable".  If the
target evaluates to "Indeterminate", then the value of the policy shall
be determined as if the policy's rules were evaluated according to the
specified rule combining algorithm, and then transforming the result
according to Table 7 (Section 7.14)."

For 7.13:

"The value of a policy set SHALL be determined by its contents,
considered in relation to the contents of the request context.

"The policy set's target SHALL be evaluated to determine the
applicability of the policy set.  If the target evaluates to "Match"
then the value of the policy set SHALL be determined by evaluating the
child policies and policy sets according to the specified policy
combining algorithm.  If the target evaluates to "No match" then the
value of the policy set shall be "Not Applicable".  If the target
evaluates to "Indeterminate", then the value of the policy set shall be
determined as if the child policies and policy sets were evaluated
according to the specified policy combining algorithm, and then
transforming the result according to Table 7 (Section 7.14)."

On another point:
The clarification that extended indeterminate values shall not be
returned from the top-level evaluation leaves me confused, if all it
does is return plain Indeterminate.  I probably still don't fully
understand the extended intermediate indeterminate values, because I
don't see where an "Indeterminate{P}" is ever construed as "Permit" or
an "Indeterminate{D}" as "Deny". The various indeterminate flavors
simply bubble up through the policy evaluation process without
influencing the results (except that {P} or {D} might become {DP}).  I
thought the purpose was to reduce the incidence of indeterminacy when a
missing attribute, if supplied, would not change the decision.  I won't
belabor this point, but if someone has a simple explanation I would
appreciate it.  Otherwise I will study it further.

Regards,
--Paul