Subject: Re: AW: [xacml] three questions: string-not-equal & valid FulfillOnattributevalues & placement of variableDefintions

Hi Jan,

The string-not-equal function does not work if you have something like this:

<Request>
  role = employee
  role = manager

If you then have target like this:

<Target>
  role string-not-equal "manager"

This target would match the above request, although the subject in this case does have the manager role. This is because the target match element is looking for at least one value which gives "true" on the matching function. "employee" will in this case do so.

Best regards,
Erik

On 2011-05-30 21:18, Jan Herrmann wrote:
8A8E19B3A9CB43DD82BF2F5F0E42E347@lapschlichter55" type="cite">

Hi Erik, Bill, all

thanks a lot for all your feedback mails.

regarding your comments on the string-not-equal Matchfunction issue:

The string-not-equal function is the inverse of the string-equal. Instead of checking whether an attribute equals some of the values of its domain one can always do the inverse - if that’s easier.

Further there are use cases were you want to explicitly express that all rules in policy shall not be applicable if some attribute is not equal with a certain value.

E.g. Having a predefined and unmodifiable root PolicySet element that says, resource-id != Service-A will guarantee that the children of this <PolicySet> Element will never apply to ADRs that refer to an access request on the resource Service-A.

However the circumstances and requirements are the mentioned string-not-equal function can avoid the need to shift rule-semantics down in the Rule/Condition element. As you said this applies to other functions too and I totally agree that support of <Condition> elements in <Policy> and <PolicySet> elements might greatly enhance flexibility.

Maybe we should add this topic on the TC-agenda items list.

Regarding you feedback on the FulfillOn=Indeterminate attributevalue for Obligations:

As mentioned in a previous mail thread one great use case for obligations is to use them as a generic way to define IndeterminateHandlers and internalStateHandlers.

E.g. if an AttributeSelector or AttributeDesignator is evaluating to Indeterminate, a new XML Attribute in these two elements – let’s call it IndeterminateHandler- could refer to an Obligation that instructs the PIP to add additional data to the “incomplete” ADR. Thus a mechanism is strongly required when protecting transactional services and is additionally at least a very appropriate solution for the BreakTheGlas Problem. If we have time I would like to discuss the proposal in Boston.

@Bill: As far as I know Obligation combining and obligation conflict resolution is not yet defined and so the Indeterminate case will not make things worse.

Regarding you feedback on the VariableDefinition placement:

The principle of visibility of variables could be applied in the XACML world. Can’t we treat a <R>, <P> and <PS> as a Java-Block equivalent?

All the Best

Jan

--

Jan Herrmann

Dipl.-Inform., Dipl.-Geogr.

Scientific Assistant

Chair for Applied Informatics / Cooperative Systems

Technische Universität München

Boltzmannstr. 3

85748 Garching

Germany