Subject: Re: [xacml] F2F Agenda Topics

Hi Martin,

I agree with your characterization of this use case as an essential capability.
As David described it:
"In an enterprise, policy admin is usually distributed among different
  organizational units, ranging from small workgroups to the
  corporate level.
  For a given decision request, there may be multiple applicable
  policies that are created by different admin authorities.
  These policies may not know the existence of each other, and may
  not be encapsulated in a single policyset.
  We need a broader model for combining algm to resolve conflict
  in this case. "
I submit that the XACML 3.0 Hierarchical Profile has been restructured such
that such use cases are the expected practice. Namely, that multiple hierarchies
can be defined over a common set of resources.
Once the hierarchies are independently defined, then the only issue left is
to "combine the roots" to determine which of the possibly conflicting decisions
will apply.
For example, consider a physical laptop as an enterprise resource. Governance
over this laptop may include several interested parties: the employee who has
been granted use of the laptop; an IT maintenance person who has been
granted authority over allowed configurations on the laptop, etc. The employee
may want to use the laptop for a specific purpose, whereas the facilities manager
may say that is not allowed. This decision may go up several levels of the mgmt
chain and finally reach a point where the eng vp says yes, but the IT vp says no,
and the CEO does not know enough about the problem to render a decision.
Therefore, the next step might be that the eng vp and IT vp are required to
meet and to come up w an appropriate decision.
Situations like this can be addressed by hierarchical profile where there is an
eng hierarchy and an IT hierarchy, where the hierarchy in eng is based on the
org structure, as is the IT hierarchy. The laptops as resources have hierarchical
identifiers for both hierarchies, and independent policies exist for each hierarchy.
When the decisions are in conflict then one can define a top-level PolicySet that
contains the roots of both hierarchies and apply a combining algorithm
appropriate for resolving the decision.
The structure that enables this capability is the "forest", which is a disjoint set
of single-rooted hierarchical trees. When the hierarchies in the forest are combined
over the common set of resources, the structure is known as a "polyarchy".
The XACML 3.0 Hierarchical profile has been updated explicitly to make this
relationship clear and to remove the unnecessary restrictions in 2.0 that limited
the profile to DAGs, which are not appropriate to address this problem.

    Thanks,
    Rich