Subject: RE: [xacml] RE: Hierarchical actions

Paul,

I don't think so. There are no Subjects Who Can Delete, there are only subjects that can delete *a given resource*.

> If it were a type hierarchy of actions, we could say "all acts of
> deletion are acts of writing; all acts of writing are acts of
> versioning;", etc.

*From an authorization standpoint*, that's exactly how Documentum works.

> I see two approaches to meeting this use case.  The simpler, more
> conventional approach would be to define some sort of "enum"
> declaration
> in a policy.  This would allow the policy writer to associate "Delete"
> with "0", "Write" with "1", etc.  Then the rules to allow deletion
> would
> say "if action-id greater-than-or-equal 'Delete'".  This capability
> would address other use cases as well, such as rules about resource
> sensitivity that use terms like "PUBLIC", "CONFIDENTIAL", "SECRET",
> "TOP
> SECRET" to indicate increasing levels of sensitivity.

I have two problems with this approach:
1) The 0, 1, etc. make the policies harder to understand
2) The greater-than-or-equal makes the policies harder to optimize (at least for my current implementation)

> A more general approach would specify semantic extensions to the policy
> and request languages, and specify semantic behavior of the context
> handler and/or policy evaluator.  This would allow XACML components to
> read an externally-defined ontology and infer extensions to rules and
> request contexts based on class and property axioms found in the
> ontology.

This sounds really interesting. Could you elaborate?

Thanks,
Ray