Subject: TC Admin public review feedback for XACML 3.0

Members of the XACML TC,

In preparing the latest version of XACML 3.0 for its public review, we
noted a couple of things that we thought we should bring to your
attention:

1. Two normative references that you may wish to update:

- [Hier]  XACML v3.0 Hierarchical Resource Profile Version 1.0. 11
March 2010. Committee Specification Draft 03.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/3.0/xacml-3.0-hierarchical-v1-spec-cd-03-en.html

- [XACMLAdmin]  OASIS Committee Draft 03, XACML v3.0 Administration
and Delegation Profile Version 1.0. 11 March 2010.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/3.0/xacml-3.0-administration-v1-spec-cd-03-en.doc

Both of these are currently approved as Committee Specifications:

- [Hier]  XACML v3.0 Hierarchical Resource Profile Version 1.0. 10
August 2010. Committee Specification 01.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/3.0/xacml-3.0-hierarchical-v1-spec-cs-01-en.html.

and

- [XACMLAdmin]  XACML v3.0 Administration and Delegation Profile
Version 1.0. 10 August 2010. Committee Specification 01.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/3.0/xacml-3.0-administration-v1-spec-cs-01-en.html.

You could make your references to the Latest version links for the
specifications that would always stay up to date:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/3.0/xacml-3.0-hierarchical-v1-spec-en.html

http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/3.0/xacml-3.0-administration-v1-spec-en.html

2. We noted that inline citations to items in the References section
aren't hyperlinked. For example in Section 2.5, the second sentence
includes "... the most common application of this idea is the
subject's role [RBAC]." Typically, specification documents link the
'[RBAC]' back to its entry in the Normative References section for the
reader's convenience.

3. A number of the references did not have a URI available (we realize
that some are to print publications but if you can locate URLs it
makes it more convenient for your readers) and one (XPathFunc) had a
URL but it wasn't hyperlinked.

And a couple of operational / procedural notes/requests as well:

1. You submitted a different document link in the ticket for the
public review and the ticket for the CSD creation. You don't need to
create a separate document for the public review - we will create that
document from the one used for the CSD.

2. Working draft 23, submitted for the CSD, had change tracking turned
on and the changes not accepted. In order to create the CSD and the
CSPRD, we had to first accept all changes and turn change tracking
off. Please give them to us in the future with the changes already
accepted. The reason is that our policy is not to tamper with your
content at all if we can help it. I do not want to blur the lines
around who is responsible for the content of the specification. If we
change anything - even just accept changes - and then something is
later found wrong, it could be unclear who is responsible for the
error. I prefer to keep a very bright line - in a CSD, if it is above
start of section 1, I did it. If it is south, it belongs to you.

3. The working draft also had a figures directory with one gif in it.
No harm done but it meant we had to spend time figuring out whether
that was needed or not. If you could avoid sending along anything
extra, it will help us get your content done faster.

Thanks much & nice work on v3.0. Let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

/chet
Chet Ensign
http://www.oasis-open.org

Primary: +1 973-996-2298
Mobile: +1 201-341-1393

TC Administration information and support is available at
http://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tcadmin

Follow OASIS on:
LinkedIn:    http://linkd.in/OASISopen