Subject: RE: [xacml] Updated policy template wiki

Steven,

You're right, the expansion of <Match> elements has to propagate to its container to preserve the Boolean relationship to sibling <Match> elements of the same AllOf container.

The question of conjunctive vs disjunctive is a more serious problem.  As currently spec'd, there's no way for a policy writer to indicate whether they want parameter expansion to produce a disjunctive set (OR), or a conjunctive set (AND) when the parameterized <AttributeValue> is used in a <Match> expression. This isn't a problem for condition expressions because the policy writer can use the parameterized attribute as an argument to AnyOf or AllOf functions as needed, so simply replacing the parameterized <AttributeValue> element with a set of <AttributeValue> elements shouldn't present a problem.

The fixed structure of the <Target> expression makes it difficult to express a policy writer's intent of whether parameter substitution should be performed as an AND or as an OR operation over the list of injected values.

We have a few options to deal with this issue:
1. Prohibit template parameters in <Match> elements
2. Require template parameters used in <Match> elements contain exactly one value
3. Support only disjunctive combination of substituted values when rewriting a <Target> expression
4. Add syntax to allow the policy writer to indicate whether they want the parameter values used conjunctively or disjunctively in each parameterized <AttributeValue>.

Option 1 severely restricts the usefulness of policy templates.

Option 2 seems impractical. The writer of the policy template data would need to know how the parameter will be used by policies. Brittle.

Option 3 leaves out the conjunctive use case.  Is this acceptable? Possibly. If we consider conjunctive use of parameterized <AttributeValue>s in condition expressions to be an (allowed) aberration, I guess we could declare/assert that parameter values are handled disjunctively across the board. The provided policy template use cases appear to be of a disjunctive mindset.

Option 4 is doable, but if we can eliminate the need for supporting the conjunctive case, we should.

Jean-Paul, what do you think of these options?

-Danny

Danny Thorpe
Product Architect | | Quest Software - Now including the people and products of BiTKOO | www.quest.com