Subject: Re: [xacml] New XACML profile - ALFA

On 19/03/2014 2:43 AM, Hal Lockhart wrote:
It just occurred to me we could call it “Abbreviated Language for Authorization.”

Perhaps "A Language for Authorization" was too obvious ? :-)

In any case, I think the "for Authorization" is too general and doesn't
accurately convey what the language is actually for, which is authoring
policies. Some possibilities including "Policy" that come to mind are:

	Policy Authoring Language (PAL)
	Policy AUthoring Language (PAUL)
	Simplified Policy Authoring Language (SPAL)
	Simplified Policy Authoring Format (SPAF)
	Language for Authoring Policies (LAP)
	Simplified Language for Authoring Policies (SLAP)
	Simplified POlicy Composition (SPOC)
	Efficient POlicy Composition (EPOC)

Regards,
Steven

Hal

*From:*Hal Lockhart
*Sent:* Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:42 AM
*To:* Sinnema, Remon; David Brossard (david.brossard@axiomatics.com)
*Cc:* xacml@lists.oasis-open.org; Chet Ensign; Jamie Clark

I think this is great and have been urging Axiomatics to do this for some time.

On the subject of the name, the OASIS Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy (https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr) section 5.3 says:

5.3 *Trademarks*

 1. Trademarks or service marks that are not owned by OASIS shall not be used by OASIS, except as approved by the OASIS Board of Directors, to refer to work conducted at OASIS, including the use in the name of an OASIS TC, an OASIS Deliverable, or incorporated into such work.
 2. No OASIS Party may use an OASIS trademark or service mark in connection with an OASIS Deliverable or otherwise, except in compliance with such license and usage guidelines as OASIS may from time to time require.

I believe that means we can use ALFA, but not Axiomatics. (I am assuming ALFA is not a Trademark of Axiomatics.)

I think this means we have 3 choices. 1. Pick a new name. 2. Use ALFA, but make up a new phrase for it to stand for. 3. Use ALFA and state it doesn’t stand for anything.

If ALFA is an Axiomatics Trademark, I believe that unless Axiomatics decides to contribute all rights to ALFA to OASIS, we simply can’t use the name.

I am CC’ing Chet and Jamie to draw their attention to this issue, in case my interpretation is wong.

Hal