Subject: Re: [xacml] Need to resolve the name of the SAML Profile of XACML

Erik, thanks for the update. We're prepping the files now and the public review will start next week.

/chet

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:02 AM, Erik Rissanen <erik@axiomatics.com> wrote:
Hi Chet,

On our meeting yesterday we decided that we want the profile title to be "XACML SAML Profile Version 2.0".

For consistency we would also like to change the document identifier to "xacml-saml-profile-v2.0".

Based on the document identifier, to keep things consistent, the new file name of the document should be xacml-saml-profile-v2.0-wd18.doc

Are these acceptable?

Best regards,
Erik

On 2014-05-13 16:31, Chet Ensign wrote:
Members of the XACML TC,

We are preparing the SAML 2.0 Profile of XACML for its public review and we've run into a glitch. I'd like to get your preference on how we proceed.

In a nutshell, the name SAML 2.0 Profile of XACML Version 2.0 is already an OASIS Standard so, as they say, something's gotta give. The title must, in some way, be new.

I remember that this document is made more difficult by the fact that it describes the SAML Version 2.0 profile for all versions of XACML including the current version of XACML - 3.0. So the version numbers tend to trip over each other.

Note also that the naming directives (http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html) don't allow punctuation before the Version # so we are losing the comma in any case.

Here are some ways I can see resolving this:

1. Go out with the original title presented - SAML 2.0 Profile of XACML, Version 2.0 - and we'll present this feedback as a public review comment so that you can sort it out during the review period. In other words, decide later.

2. Change the Version number. This strikes me as the most straight forward. SAML 2.0 Profile of XACML Version 2.1 or SAML 2.0 Profile of XACML Version 3.0. The second might be the more accurate versioning but does carry some element of confusion with XACML Version 3.0.

3. Change the title to be more descriptive, e.g. SAML 2.0 Profile for All Versions of XACML Version 2.0.

Please consult and send me your preference for how to proceed. I don't need anything more formal than a reply email - everything is ready to stage as soon as the title question is sorted out.

Thanks for your understanding...

/chet
----------------
Chet Ensign