Subject: RE: [xacml] REST profile of XACML

Hi David,

From: xacml@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xacml@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of David Brossard
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:31 AM
To: xacml
Subject: [xacml] REST profile of XACML

Hi Ray,

I have a few questions regarding the REST profile and my apologies if I missed some of the answers in the mailing list.

  • Why and when did we bump up from version 1.0 to version 1.1?

We did not. I tried, but didn’t follow proper procedure (should have requested a new work product), so we stay at 1.0 for now.

  • From what I can see there is no functional difference between either version
  • Now that the JSON profile is (almost) done and dusted, it would be good to add it as a reference to the REST Profile especially below

2.3 Representations

XACML requests and responses SHOULD be represented using registered media types defined specifically for XACML, in [XACMLMedia] or elsewhere (e.g. in the upcoming JSON profile)

I’ll do that as soon as we have a Committee Specification of the JSON Profile.

It is unclear how this would be tested. This is documentation, not a technical implementation. How do we suggest we enforce this?

We don’t enforce anything; we only list how to test things. In this case, the test would be to look at the server documentation and attempt to find the entry point URL in it.

The server documentation can take many forms, so I don’t think we can write an automated test suite that will work against all implementations of the Profile, if that’s what you’re after.  Some servers may have structured documentation, maybe even structured documentation that is accessible online, and in those cases it would be fairly easy to test this requirement in an automated fashion. In other cases, you may have to resort to grepping of some sort.

Alternatively, you could simply test this manually.

Thanks,

Ray