Subject: Re: [xacml] Suggested discussion topic -- what are common practices in how access-control attributes are bound to resources?

David--thanks. So at first glance it didn't seem like there was any resource metadata (attribute) binding in the scenario you describe. But on second thought I guess you could say that the database with the recordID->AssignedPhysician link was that binding (and the AssignedPhysician data is the resource attribute.) Interesting.

It does seem like the binding mechanism and therefore the metadata-finding method may vary widely by resource data type (structured DB, document, message, etc.) as well as other things. I was (am) hoping to find enough commonality in these approaches to support generalization or even guidance/recommendations.

I should also say that the present question came up as a result of trying to think through how one might implement the idea of default-deny-if-no-policy-reference we discussed last meeting. Also, both these questions are from the perspective of how ABAC/PBAC might be applied in a multi-organizational (federated) environment where standard approaches are important for interoperability.

Regards,

Martin