Subject: Guest Speaker from NCCoE for Thursday's meeting

As we discussed on the last call, the meeting this Thursday, March 31 will be dedicated to a presentation by Bill Fisher of the National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence, followed by discussion.

In addition to answering any questions, Bill would like our input on what the NCCoE should be doing in regard to XACML and ABAC. In his words:

I’d like to get a sense for what individuals feel are the barriers to adoption both for XACML and ABAC architectures, how they think the NCCoE might be able to help organizations overcome those barriers and any specific use cases or business cases they think ABAC is particularly well suite for that the NCCoE could demonstrate in a reference design.

Some of the questions the NCCoE is considering that might make for an interesting discussion are:

  • how does the movement to SaaS platforms change the ability to implement ABAC solutions
  • Using currently available technology, can an ABAC system be used with big data systems such as hbase

Oracle will provide a webex. Instructions will be provided in the Agenda.

I would like everyone to think about these issues in advance. To help stimulate discussion (and to get my opinions on the table), I plan to post a number of emails as thread starters to get the discussion going. Everyone should feel free to respond or start a new thread around our own idea.

Hal