Subject: RE: [xacml] Is whitespace significant in the XML representation of XACML?

Well, that’s the problem. Whitespace in XML may or may not be significant:

https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-white-space

In particular, an XML Schema may define what whitespace is and isn’t significant:

https://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-xmlschema11-2-20120405/datatypes.html#rf-whiteSpace

Our schema’s don’t use that, so I guess the default behavior applies, which is that whitespace within elements is significant.

I wonder if this makes sense, though. If we had started out with, say, YAML rather than XML, I doubt we would have come up with a system where the value of an AttributeValue could end with a newline.

From: David Brossard [mailto:david.brossard@axiomatics.com]
Sent: dinsdag 3 mei 2016 18:40
To: Sinnema, Remon
Cc: xacml

Hi Ray

Wouldn't that be behavior inherited from XML itself where whitespace does matter?

David

On May 3, 2016 6:34 PM, "Sinnema, Remon" <remon.sinnema@emc.com> wrote:

I saw the urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:function:string-normalize-space function, which would be superfluous if whitespace were *not* significant, so I assume that it is, but I don’t see this explicitly stated in the spec. Also, it doesn’t seem to provide a good user experience for those of us unlucky enough to write policies by hand. Thoughts?