Subject: Re: [xcbf][Fwd:I-DACTION:draft-nagpal-biometric-digital-signature-00.txt]

At 2002/05/16 18:46 +0100, John Larmouth wrote:
>Alessandro Triglia wrote:
> >
> > At 2002/05/16 16:01 +0100, John Larmouth wrote:
> > >This is quite interesting!  He admits it is not possible yet!
> >
> > This proposal is very far from reality.  The probability of getting two
> > identical biometric samples from the same person are very low, for any
> > biometric technique,
>
>No, I don't think so.  For hand geometry, I think we could be close to
>doing what he wants, and possibly for fingerprints, where they count
>cusps and whorls etc.

John,

We are talking about taking measures of real-world objects.  No two images
of a fingerprint will be identical, especially when taken at different
times and on different systems.

The representation of a fingerprint usually includes (see ANSI/NIST-ITL
1-2000) the representation of a vector (cartesian coordinates of the
origin, phase angle and length) for each of the identified minutiae ("ridge
ending", "bifurcation", etc.).  These measures can vary from sample to
sample.  It is even possible that a "ridge ending", for example, is
identified as such in a sample but not recognized in another sample, so the
very list of minutiae (let alone their coordinates) may vary from sample to
sample.

Alessandro Triglia
OSS Nokalva