Subject: [xcbf] XCBF Document

Sorry I did not have time to do more, but I think that when you
have a chance to look over the attached document, you will agree
that it is at least a start. But any critique before the meeting
would be appreciated - volunteers to help look at how we can get
this stuff into the OASIS SpecTools templates would be nice, too.

During tomorrow's meeting, I would like for us to focus primarily
on the parts under the header "X9.84 and BioAPI 1.1 Interoperability".
Probably poorly named, but that can be changed. What we need to try
as best we can to do tomorrow is to nail down how to map the header
components of a BioAPI BIR into the header of an X9.84 BiometricObject.

I'm not now concerned so much with the details of the text or the
format. I simply want us to agree as much as possible which parts
can be mapped and which can not, and that I have at least captured
the format descriptions properly. That would be some progress.

If we make some progress, I'd also like to take a brief look at
the references section. I see many that it seems we could remove
out of hand (all taken out of the context of X9.84:2000 and some
are not relevant here). I also note that Monica has some suggested
additions to make.

Have a look if you will at the ASN.1 modules at the end of the
document. You'll notice at once that I am in the process of
revising these from the 2000 edition to a new version. This
new version will be announced (this week I hope - I've been
telling folks already) by X9 shortly. Using this effort will
give us the opportunity to actually conform to a version of
X9.84 and still align properly with BioAPI 1.1, a new ANSI
standard.

The goal of this X9 effort is to do the same, and they hope
to build in part off of our XCBF efforts so that they also
end up with an alignment with both BioAPI 1.1 and XCBF. They
wish to add XML to X9.84, based on what we come up with, that
uses the XER to generate the markup. As part of this effort,
I'm hoping to get some sort of liaison established with OASIS
and X9.

We'll take a cooks tour of the ASN.1 if time permits, but my
guess is that it will not. At any rate, there is much more to
do here in the Identifiers and CMS modules. In the Biometrics
module, I'll soon add support for multiple biometrics. This
will be done to provide several new kinds of support. Turns
out that if an application can use more than one biometric,
then they have a good chance of lowering the false rejection
rate. Another opportunity is to inconvenience the user a
little less - if I use gait and voice recognition and a
fingerprint, perhaps I can rely on the first two and not
make you take off your gloves in winter to access some
resource.

One part of this work will be to add a new type,
MultipleFactors ::= SEQUENCE SIZE(1..MAX) OF BiometricSyntax.
Another will be to create new integrity and privacy types
that support a sequence of BiometricObjects. More notes to
the list later as these changes are made.

See you (actually your text) tomorrow.

Phil