Subject: Re: [xcbf] Current Ballot

I am afraid these remarks may sound anti-American.  They are not
intended to be.  They are simply comments from someone working on
international and open standards, rather than on closed US-only standards.

X9.84 is a closed US-only standard (I will refrain from making nasty
remarks about who rules the world - whoops, I said it!) and I do not
have access to it.

OASIS is, at least nominally, a world-wide, open, public consortium,
although it is dominated by the US - but so are many *ISO* committees!.

I therefore have two questions:

	a)	Is the text of X9.84 identical (in all respects, or not) to the
proposed text of the OASIS XCBF?  (I actually do not know.)

	b)	And second, surely OASIS provides an international standard
(lower-case "i" and "s") where ANSI X9 **does not**, and hence an OASIS
Standard is worth proceeding with?  (I am aware that there are moves to
try to standardise X9.84 in IOS/IEC/JTC1/SC27, but that standardisation
will be a long way off.)

John L

--
    Prof John Larmouth