Subject: Re: [xcbf] Interpretation of the CS under ballot

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Phillip H. Griffin wrote:

> >As for (2), my interpretation is that  ***CXER, and only CXER, must be
> >used for encoding the WHOLE messages***,  despite the numerous sentences
> >such as  "This value is always encoded using the XML Encoding Rules"
> >and the numerous exampes of BASIC-XER encoding.
>
> Clearly, since CXER is a subset of XER, CXER may be used to
> encode entire messages. But this is not required. As you say above,
> there are numerous sentences in the document such as
>
> "This value is always encoded using the XML Encoding Rules"
>
> and it is these sentences that specify all of the CXER requirements.

Doesn't this contradict what is said in the Introduction?:

   "These XML encodings are based on the ASN.1 [2] [3] [4] [5] schema
   defined in ANSI X9.84:2003 Biometric Information Management and
   Security. They conform to the canonical variant of the XML Encoding
   Rules (XER) for ASN.1 defined in ITU-T Rec. X.693"

That is, in the Introduction it states that the encodings conform to CXER
(the canonical variant of XER), but throughout the document there is a
mixture of XER and CXER encodings.

Bancroft