Subject: Re: [xcbf] Teleconference Meeting

I have a certain amount of sympathy with A's proposals below for the agenda.

Engineering two further meetings in order to get or to exclude voting
membership is NOT the right way to progress an International Standard.

On item 1) from A,  I fully support that.  We need to decide in broad
terms how to move forward.  That means an overall decision re BASE64,
and decisions on what ASN.1 encoding rules will be referenced, on the
timing of future ballots, and on the editorial work needed to prepare
for them.  As Phil has resigned as Editor,  I am prepared to offer
myself again for that role PROVIDED we can reach basic agreement on what
is to be in the documnent.

On item 2) from A, this is more long-term, and could perhaps be deferred
to a subsequent meeting.  It would be a shame if this Standard did not
continue to embrace efficient binary encodings as well as XML encodings,
which ASN.1 provides.

I am not sure of the OASIS rules for setting the Agenda for a meeting.

Surely as a minimum the Chair should normally be expected to include
items proposed by a member?  Otherwise I will begin to lose faith in
either the Chair or in OASIS or both.

John L

--
PLEASE NOTE - As an anti-SPAM measure, e-mails will shortly
not be accepted by my machine from an unknown sender unless

If you pass my e-mail address to others (which I am very happy
for you to do) please tell them to include this phrase in the
subject line of their first mailing to me.  Thanks.

    Prof John Larmouth
    Larmouth T&PDS Ltd
    (Training and Protocol Development Services Ltd)
    1 Blueberry Road
    Bowdon                               j.larmouth@salford.ac.uk
    Cheshire WA14 3LS                    (put "Hi John" in subject)
    England
    Tel: +44 161 928 1605		Fax: +44 161 928 8069